Vizio Launches Beta for Testing AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Functionality on SmartCast-Enabled TVs

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Vizio's SmartCast-compatible TVs are gaining AirPlay 2 and HomeKit integration later this year, and ahead of the official release, Vizio has launched a new beta that will allow Vizio customers to test the functionality with compatible Vizio television sets.

Vizio earlier this week updated its SmartCast app to add AirPlay 2 beta support, and today, the company began emailing customers who signed up for the beta test to let them know that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are available in a beta capacity.

[​IMG]

Signups for Vizio's beta test began back in January, but Vizio TV owners can still sign up to participate through Vizio's Apple webpage.

AirPlay 2 integration will allow iOS and Mac users to stream video content, music, photos, and more to SmartCast-enabled Vizio TVs, and with HomeKit integration, the Home app on iOS or Siri voice commands can be used to control the TV.

Official AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support will be coming to Vizio televisions in the summer. Vizio TVs from 2016 and later will support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit.

Article Link: Vizio Launches Beta for Testing AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Functionality on SmartCast-Enabled TVs

2. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

I’m a bit bitter we’re not getting home kit, only airplay with Samsung, but also, what is taking so long?

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

Vizio m70-c3. Anybody know if this is available for that particular model? I know it’s a 2015 model. But it’s right there on a the line..

4. theboss19 macrumors newbie

My M60-D1 qualifies. I think it’s anyone with SmartCast

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I typed in you model number into the compatibility-checker within the app, and it *says* not supported. Not sure if that’s necessarily true though.

Attached Files:

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

Vizio, AirPlay 2, HomeKit, SmartCast...

This has got to approach the pinnacle of buzz wordiness. Does the average person have any idea what all this mumbo jumbo means?

7. brianrmurray macrumors member

brianrmurray

I’ve installed it on my P75-F1 and P65-C1 and neither of them are working, airplay and HomeKit don’t even show up at all.

8. keys macrumors member

It is working on my P50-C1. I was having a few hiccups during setup after the update, but I got it to go through after doing a soft power cycle in system settings.

9. hinchesk macrumors member

Wait, I have to install the latest iOS beta to get this? Am I missing something?

10. liberte1776 macrumors regular

This beta is a big fail, updated to iOS beta 12.3, updated Vizio M80-D3 to 6.x firmware, latest Vizio app, and HomeKit cannot find the accessory base on QR code on screen, and the display never shows up as an AirPlay target! FAIL.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2019 ---
    Thank you! This did the trick, now it all shows up, finally! :D

11. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

I was hoping to connect my tv to airplay 2 speakers

12. liberte1776 macrumors regular

Ah well, you need an Apple TV for that functionality today... I imagine features like that would be coming in the future for non-Apple devices...

13. Yonizzle macrumors member

Looks that way. I got the new firmware installed on my P65-C1 via my iPad running the iOS 12.3 public beta. I can AirPlay music and (some) video from my iPad. On my iPhone (iOS 12.2) and iMac (macOS 10.14.4), however, the display shows up as an AirPlay destination, but I get an error message when I try to actually choose it to stream to. Crossing my fingers it Just Works when the next release of each OS ships.

14. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

All I know is VIZO has crummy firmware and they will do everything possible to avoid recognizing bugs. I have a VIZO that was used with a computer. Worked fine until their latest firmware hit. From then on it soft cycles every 20 seconds. Sent it to VIZO for repair. Returned with same issue. They sent a refurbed unit, it updated and then had same problem. They sent a third which has not been allowed to connect to internet (so it can’t update firmware) and has been problem free. When asked about these results, VIZIO had this to say: “although we show TV used with computers in marketing, TV settings, and owners manual, we don’t guarantee it will work with computers”. When I pointed out that the TV worked fine BEFORE their firmware update, they said there is no problem and there is nothing they can do. So now I have zero trust in VIZIO’s firmware team and have switched to Samsung and LG... which all work flawlessly. I’d be afraid to update any VIZIO TV since it seems if it adds any bugs, they are never going to recognize it much less fix it.

15. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Their CTO left a couple years ago and since then it's only gotten worse. My 2016 P series will be the last Vizio product I buy.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Maybe you shouldn't be so damn quick condemning software, minutes (Maximum 1H29m;)) later it was solved, also take into account it's a beta, they might work flawlessly for one and a total failure for the next, that's the nature of betas.

17. Alex de Soto macrumors newbie

Alex de Soto

Than you. That fixed my issue as well.

18. Channing Q macrumors newbie

Channing Q

Why won’t it work for my d tv

19. TheChud macrumors newbie

Have a 2017 E60-E3 and not available on it at this time. Wondering if they keep a list of models that work with the beta we can all see?

20. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

I signed up for the beta but haven't received any emails.

Can someone share the link?

21. adam8810 macrumors newbie

If you do have a TV new enough and listed but it's still not working you can enter a newer TV's model number (I used one of the new E-Series: E80-E3) which allowed me to get to the next step. From there you can continue through the process even though your TV model is different. It'll allow you to pick your tv off the list it finds on the network and install the latest 6.x version onto your TV. Note you will need to be running the beta iOS 12.3 on any devices you want to use with your tv.

22. Yonizzle macrumors member

You don’t need a link, just get the standard Vizio SmartCast iOS app, and the option will show up in the menu. It does require your iOS device to be running the iOS 12.3 beta though.

23. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

Ah, thank you! I don't have the beta, but when the release version does roll around I'll try.

24. Glee217 macrumors member

Glee217

I think a airplay 2 tv can not connect to a airplay 2 speaker to output audio since both are receiving devices so you will need an ios or mac to output to an airplay 2 device like the tv or the speaker.