Vizio Says 2016 4K SmartCast TVs Will Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. liberte1776 macrumors regular

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

I have an lg 4K tv I bought just last year that’s not getting the update despite the fact that it’s powerful enough to run web os. But can’t run iTunes? Or do airplay? Yeah sure.

Tv sales are slipping and they’re running out of reasons for people to buy new TVs. So they’re using this like a carrot on a stick to get you to buy a new one.

Well I won’t. I already have an Apple TV. But just the fact that they want you to buy a new tv is ridiculous

3. mlody macrumors 6502a

Apple is far from even touching the bottom of what Netflix is and had accomplished when it comes mainstream media in my opinion.

4. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

HomeKit.

5. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

Because if you drop in to visit Aunt May it will be very easy to show her nephew’s climbing skills you have captured on your phone.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

OLED in the movie room and a Vizio in the living room (p-series 2016). It’s been an excellent set, and by far the best for buck since plasma sets.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:33 PM ---
    AirPlay is a welcomed feature for easily sharing video/photos on the big screen. As I mentioned above, the Vizio is my living room TV and stuff like this will keep me buying them. I can seriously play everything on the P-series.

7. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Because these TVs like my LG C8 are insanely fast. It’s really convenient to switch my receiver to the Apple TV when I want to watch Netflix 4K, Vudu 4K, Amazon 4K and YouTube 4K. Being able to access my entire iTunes library with a simple click on the webOS home menu/recents would be awesome.

I could care less about HomeKit since I don’t waste money on smart light bulbs and stuff like that. These TVs already have Google and Alexa integration which can already control that stuff anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:20 PM ---
    Hopefully LG hooks up us 2018 OLED owners. It’s the least they can do. Just a gesture of goodwill since these are premium products we’re talking about.

8. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Interesting. Seems reasonable, if you are using all the apps on your TV, that you would prefer to switch to an iTunes app rather than to the AppleTV to play that media (assuming you have an AppleTV of course). But then, why weren't you just using all the same apps on the AppleTV rather than the ones built into your TV?

Might just be different ways of looking at things - wanting to do everything with the TV, versus wanting to do as little as possible with the TV's clunky remote and everything via the attached box with the better (at least in my case; YMMV) interface. Definitely agree that switching inputs on TVs is still an unnaturally convoluted process (not sure why manufacturers insist on making it so, but it is, universally), so it needs to be minimized. In my world, we have the TV always set to HDMI 1 and everything comes from the AppleTV (we actually have an HDMI switch in there too so the PS/4, Switch, the now-never-used FireTV Stick, and ATV all go into that then into the HDMI-1 input on the TV; Harmony takes care of all that switching for us though), so our "TV" interface is just the AppleTV.

Is there a service that you only get on your built-in TV app library, that isn't supported on the AppleTV? Or do you just prefer that interface?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 at 9:09 PM ---
    So it seems in your case, you have a TV without an AppleTV, that is now getting Airplay etc features added to it. That definitely makes sense too.

9. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

So, the sole interface to the TV is the HDMI-1, which I presume has the ARC feature. Does the switch interfere with that function?

Also, doesn't ATV auto-switch inputs?

10. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

Apple opening the garden is a nice change. Some will say now it’s time to welcome Nvidia back. Here’s the rub though. In order for Nvidia to come back, Apple would have to use Quadro only products to deliver what AMD has been giving us. That is, 10bit display support. Nvidia’s non-gamer cards do not offer 10bit which is very important to content creators. It’s a higher than true color way to proof your photos or video content. So unless Nvidia makes special cards for macOS or we are willing to pay EVEN MORE for mobile Quadro, I don’t really care about Nvidia.

11. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

To be fair, he didn’t say Apple was. He just said Apple is the “Next” Netflix. You still have to start from the bottom when trying to be the next.

12. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I was but I just recently bought the LG C8. I thought I would hate the built-in apps since usually they’re slow and TV remotes suck but not in this case. The alpha 9 in the 2018 LG OLEDs is very fast and the LG magic remote is fantastic!

If you’ve never tried the magic remote I suggest you do! It has a scrolling wheel and on screen cursor that you control by moving the remote and pointing at what you want to select. It also has dedicated buttons for launching Netflix and Amazon. webOS also has a recents list much like double clicking the TV button on the Siri Remote so you can quickly go back and forth between apps and HDMI inputs.

LG has really hit it out of the park and the 2019 OLEDs are only going to be better!