VLC 0.9.2 Released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cromulent, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just a heads up that the new version of VLC has been released. Much nicer preferences interface and seems more mac like in general. Check it out.

2. waldemarsson macrumors newbie

mine just crashes at start.. anyone with the same problem?

3. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Works well for me.

FINALLY there's support for HTML subtitles. No longer will I have to reformat subtitles to work with VLC :D

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

VideoLAN is getting like 7 downloads a second so the default download link and a few of the mirrors arent working for me. however i got JAIST (Universal Binary link) mirror to work… of course its in Japan!

theres a few mods to the UI like graphite colours (finally!) and borderless window like QuickTime Player. i also spotted a Last.fm scrobbler in the preferences.

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Interface looking good to me so far. I'll test it this evening.

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Seems to use more CPU power than 0.8.6i did when playing HD videos. Hmm, I'm actually having a few issues playing 1080p in Matrosuka / H.264 files.

7. c00ld00d macrumors newbie

8. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not that I am aware of.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

After running Delete Preferences AppleScript under Goodies, I fired it up. Unfortunately, it hasn't addressed one of my biggest pet peeves -- displaying separate controller and video windows. While I can close the controller window after the playback starts, this is rather tiresome.

10. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Is it any different than the VL 1.0.0b "nightly" version, or is this just an older nightly that they decided to finally release after months and months of stasis? I've been using the nightly 1.0.0 "goldeneye" release fairly successfully, but the "post-processing" level is permanently set to Max.

11. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Yeah, me too...

Also, it doesn't seem like it reacts to the settings - I've been trying to adjust the size of the cache but VLC doesn't seem to "preload" more when I tell it to do so...

Edit:
    Where do you fine the nightly builds?

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm having trouble with VLC playing HD videos too. Everything's good until you start skipping through by click on the timeline. Apart from the massive lag until it starts playing where you clicked, the image is torn for about 2-3 seconds before it goes back to normal.

I'm gonna try the nightly see if it's any better.

13. DjStiky macrumors member

I cant output AC3 audio using the SPDIF connection on my Macbook Pro.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

14. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

upload 8.6 please

i'm having these problems as well, on both my mbp and imac. it crashes every 2nd or 3rd time i try to skip. anyone wanna upload 8.6 please?

15. numlock macrumors 68000

When i press the step forward button on the controller window while watching a video it actually goes backward.

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I installed it the day before yesterday, and I finally got what I wished for.

Scrolling the wheel adjusts the volume, and the Mighty Mouse scroll ball lets you even scroll through the timeline by horizontal scrolling.
    I missed that feature that was in the BSplayer I used while I was on Windows (years ago).

The only problem I've encountered so far, is that if you press the Fast Forward button in the controller windows, it acts like the Rewind button. It doesn't happen in the transparent controller.

Nightlies are here.

17. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

You can get vlc 0.86 from vidolan's ftp: ftp.videolan.org/pub -> vlc