VLC 2.0 out - PPC supported!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mabaker, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Lots of respect for the crew that puts VLC together. Keeping us PowerPC users in the loop is great.

3. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Sweet. Just downloaded and made a donation. I wish there had been a comment section on the donation page to thank them for their continued support of PowerPC, but there wasn't. Oh well. I suppose they know from the number of downloads that we appreciate it.

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just donated too. It's good of them thinking of us after all these years...

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

6. ashio83 macrumors newbie

Cheers for the heads up guys but im going to stick with 1.1.12 as I was only getting 20% cpu usage whereas the same video on the new 2.0 uses 50% Is there something I'm missing setup wise? Any ideas where the 30% increase in cpu usage could be coming from? Cheers :)

7. JakeNZ macrumors member

It's a shame it wont run on a G3. What is the last G3 capable version?

8. B-G macrumors regular

I'm having problems with it. This is how it plays videos on the eMac in my signature:

[​IMG]

Audio is stuttering.
    When I try to quit it crashes bringing the whole computer to a halt.

Is it working fine on your macs?

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Is it so hard to look for yourself?

In the first post here is a link and for tiger is 0.9.10, and probably you have that one, if not there are links on that page,

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I don't have the lines like you have,video played fairly ok, a few hick ups here and there (video and audio) and it seems to be a processor hog.
    The video I played was an AVI, played on a Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz Leopard.

When I closed the window it still consumed more or less 100% Proc time and after 30 Seconds it crashed.

11. B-G macrumors regular

mmmm, it seems it still is too green then. They have changed a lot of code for this release, so I'm tempted to return to 1.1.12 until they iron out the major bugs. Let's see how things develop.

In the meantime I have opened a thread on Videolan forums, so if you are having the same problems as me you may want to take a look:
    http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98197&sid=8a27845d4a76fbac2ccd8853100628a3

12. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

13. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Same for me. If I'm reading through the forums over there correctly, they've actually disabled some Altivec code for this release because of some bugs. It makes a big difference when it comes to CPU use. I'm going back to 1.1.12 for now. No regrets about making the donation, though.

14. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Thanks for the heads up, i wouldn't of known about this otherwise. :)

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

On older systems < 1 GHz (or with less RAM) large read buffers (measured in milliseconds help here; advanced VLC prefs). For comparison: Even on a C2D 2.8 GHz and on a 2.2 GHz i7 Quad-Core SB i need to increase the read buffer to at least 3000 milliseconds (100-120 MByte/s WD WD10TPVT) for the appropriate playback of BDs. I observed high CPU usage on my G3 300 MHz, if i used (the default) low buffer sizes (XVID & MPEG-2 movies). So larger buffers can reduce the CPU usage on all systems (more or less).

;-)

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah it does, even VLC < v1.0.0 does it, but the decoding speed depends on:
    - VLC settings
    - Content and resolution within the files (some encoders use absurd settings, which makes decoding difficult, even on modern hardware)
    - Your hardware (AltiVec or no AltiVec)

G3 PPCs can decode MPEG-2 in mts, if the content has a resolution of 320x240@29.97 fps (perhaps a bit more) and the MPEG-2 encoder did not use absurd settings.

----------

Good idea!
    Compiler settings & disabled optimizations probably. It is quite difficult to find a good PowerPC-compiler today (i've CodeWarrior 9.x.x). I think Xcode 3.2.6 can do it, even under Lion (for older systems like 10.4.x). The configuration of these older compilers is a pain in the *YouKnowWhat*, especially regarding “modern” (i.e. updated) header files.

17. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

I want to try your suggestion, but I've been toggling through the advanced settings and I'm not sure that see exactly what you're talking about. Under which section should I be looking for this? I don't see anything marked as (or synonymous with) "read buffer".

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Same here, can't even see any settings under Advanced>CPU.
    Where is that setting, there are so many settings that I don't know where to look.

Cheers

19. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

From some reason, when I've got VLC 2 running I get no audio coming from my Mac, no just from VLC, but anywhere, including the popping volume changing sound. In the System Preferences, when VLC 2 is open, the volume slider is greyed out. I've got audio enabled in VLC's preferences. Qutting fixes with problem... and VLC 1 works fine.

20. pistooli macrumors regular

Exactly the same problem in an eMac 1.25GHz. For the record, previous VLC plays it fine.

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Guys

If VLC crashes and you open it again you'll get an option to send a bug report, I would recommend you to do so, makes it easier for the devs to release more stable versions for PPC.
    Up to you though.

22. ashio83 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your detailed responses Mr. Retrofire. You've cleared up a few things for me!

23. B-G macrumors regular

You have exactly the same computer as me. It seems it is a problem in the way VLC interacts with the driver of the Radeon 9200 card (see the thread on Videolan forums). Let's hope they can fix this soon.

24. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I mean this setting (for files; click to enlarge):
    [​IMG]

25. pistooli macrumors regular

probably you are right. it is an anoying bug, though. :(