VLC and QuickTime subtitle problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hellhammer, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, I have problem with my subtitles in both, VLC and QT.

First, QuickTime, I have Perian installed so it should support .srt subtitles now. Subs I've downloaded are in .sub format but I've converted them to .srt (just changed their extension in Finder), but the problem is, QT doesn't recognize them. I have enabled external subs in Perian and movie and subtitles have the same name except extension (e.g. movie.avi + movie.srt) but when I open it in QT, there are no subtitles, even the Content -> Subtitles is grayed (just option for No which is grayed).

I'm running 10.6.1 so I have the new QuickTime X so does it even work with Perian yet?

Secondly, I have VLC too because QT doesn't work with subs but I'm facing a problem with it too. It supports both, .sub and .srt subs and they "work" but not properly because everything it displays is bunch of big As in box. I've tried setting different fonts etc and I can get them to work if I reset the VLC from its preferences and relaunch it but that's not what I'm searching for and if I reverse it, even a second, they'll be big As again.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I have all latest updates of course. If anybody have suggestions for other media player, please let me know!

EDIT: Oh and the weirdest thing is, movie and subtitles works flawlessly when I stream them to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Renaming ≠ Converting.

This is most likely the reason. Install Quicktime 7 and try again.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Quicktime X does not currently support plug-ins like Perian. You therefore need to use Quicktime 7 for Perian support.

4. JavierP macrumors regular

Perian 1.1.4 + Quicktime X + avi + srt = works fine for me

5. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Quicktime 7 won't install if you already have QT X. I know it's not the same really but they still work in PS3, both .sub and .srt.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Not true. If you try to play a file that QTX doesn't support, such as a MIDI file, Software Update pops up telling you to install QuickTime Player 7. It downloads the installer from the Internet and auto-installs it for you, too. Player 7 lives in your Utilities folder, once installed. You can also install QT7 from the Snow Leopard disc, and it will happily co-exist with QTX.

7. JavierP macrumors regular

8. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I just installed MPlayer and now it finally works!