VLC app removed?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TheColtr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. TheColtr macrumors regular

I don't know when this happened but I realized this morning that I don't have VLC on my iPad, and when I went to download it in the AppStore it is gone. I don't know what happened to it but it really frustrates me.

2. sethlution macrumors regular

You're right, it's no longer in the app store (or at least in the US app store). The weird thing is, it's even gone from my purchased tab. I guess I should backup my copy to itunes now.

3. bransoj, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

bransoj macrumors 6502a

Disappeared from the UK store as well...found out when i recommended it to someone on another forum and they could only find the numerous VLC related apps not the actual player for iPhone\iPad.

I restored my phone last week and had forgotten this but thankfully i found a copy of the app file on my other laptop that i used to use for connecting my iPhone up!

Edit...googling around it appears it was removed whilst they work on a new version. Appears they've had some issues with the 6/6+ amongst other things.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Ah if it was removed for compatibility with 6/6+, that makes sense.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I read that VLC broke with iOS8 (sorry I can't remember the source now) and so Apple removed it until a working update is available.

6. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Works fine on ios 8 for me, I use it all the time.

7. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Works fine for me on iOS8 on an iPhone 5 but the stuff i found via Google suggested there were issues with it on the new phones.

8. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Ah, that would make sense then.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how would VLC even work on an iPhone? do you store you media on the app using the file sharing option in iTunes?

10. DiabBarca macrumors regular

DiabBarca