Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Found an spanish article saying that you can use VLC from Lion onwards to download youtube.

"
Before you begin, keep in mind that if you are using Mac, you must have Mac OS X 10.7 or later. The tool makes it easy to disconnect your favorite videos and save them for viewing in any file format such as MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, MP3, MP4 and more. The method to download videos from YouTube using the VLC media player is very simple, you just have to follow a few simple steps that we detail below:

The first step is to open some YouTube videos and copy the browser address bar link on the page.
Subsequently, you must open the VLC media player on the computer and paste the video URL into VLC from File> Open Network. Or with the CTRL + N keyboard shortcut on a Windows computer and Command + N on macOS. After that, click on "Open" to start playing the video.
Then, with the YouTube video open in VLC Media Player, we go to Tools> Codec information in Windows or Window> Media information in the drop-down menu in macOS.
A new window will open detailing technical information about the YouTube video. A link will appear at the bottom where it says Location. Basically it is the download link, you must copy it and open it in the web browser. This will open an MP4 version of the YouTube video that you can really save to the desktop.
Then, right click on the enlarged YouTube video that appears and select "Save video as" or similar, depending on the browser you use. We must name the file and save it in the desired location.

This way you will get the YouTube video in MP4 format with VLC Media Player."

On the comment about this on other page found more than a pair of interesting things.

1 PP method
"
You add PP behind the word YOUTUBE in the url. Simple and effective.
Example: from www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaByTt1Yws you go to www.youtubePP.com/watch?v=FPaByTt1Yws "

2 take "ube"
"
There is an easier way, I think.
To the URL of the video you want to download you delete "ube" and from the page that loads you can download the .mp4 or .mp3 in several qualities
For example:
1- www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
2- Delete "ube" (yout.com remains)
3 - yout.com/video/dQw4w9WgXcQ/ "

3 GreaseMonkey + YoutubeCenter
"
Too complicated. Greasmonkey in Firefox with YouTube Center [github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter] and direct link in each video to download in the format you want.
The version of Userscripts in Greasemonkey continues to work perfectly despite taking time without updating.
For me it meets everything I need:
- advertising block
- resize the player to the chosen size
- download videos
- a single player working when you have several tabs open"

Most people say the best is youtube-dl but other say got to this page or another.

Anything that can be translated to our PowerPC machines?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Perhaps the most straightforward download solution right now for PPC is to use www.invidio.us instead of youtube as it offers download links off the page. However, I find the site is often unavailable.
More reliable is to use a plugin in your browser that offers the option to download - NinjaKit and Greasemonkey work great with Viewtube script.

Reactions: z970

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Another option (not tested on powerpc, but in 2 or two weeks I can test) is JDownloader.
For powerpc you must use a very very old version (I believe 1.0)..don't know if this version supports youtube download...The newer ones do.

Reactions: G4fanboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.