VLC better alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andygabriel, Dec 21, 2010.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi,
    are there better softwares to watch videos on the mac. I use VLC but do you guys recommend any other that will play any video format?

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Lunettes is a new attempt at "saving" VLC for the Mac and tries to redesign the interface while using the same core.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

^^ Test version coming out in January. Thanks ergdegdeg.

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I've been using Lunettes for a few months now and it works quite well. Sometimes it crashes when I go into full-screen mode but overall, it's nice.

6. karohan macrumors 6502

Movist is a great video player. It's all I use now.

7. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

8. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

PLEX all the way

Hi guys, try Plex, it is fab. It based on the XBMC core, plays all my HD MKV files and just works. Not only that, the interface is sooooooo polished, it could have been (or perhaps SHOULD have been) what Front Row is.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

QuickTime can handle almost anything with Perian, Flip4Mac, and XiphQT installed. I find I only ever need VLC for some MKV files.

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I like MPlayer OSX Extended. Seems to play my mkv's more smoothly than VLC. I generally use QT + Perian for most things, though.

11. Nermal, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's interesting; it's been 2-3 years since I last tried Plex and the UI was very clunky back then. I might give it another go now since it sounds like it's been improved.

12. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I guess i'll have to try all of them.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Plex is good when used with remote but quite a bit slower than the others when used with mouse&KB. It's amazing for HTPC though, definitely the best media app to be used with Apple remote for instance

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The new update to XBMC is quite good (better than Plex). I don't have a HTPC so I'm not really all that into those though. I generally use QT + plugins for most of my media needs. I probably watch more media on my iPhone though and it's extremely limited in what it can playback.

15. lopoz macrumors regular

MPlayerX

I've been using MPlayerX as my default player for a while now and personally I think it's the best player around. It looks good, is actively being developed (unlike MP OSX Extended) and it's fast.

By the way, I'm looking at the Lunettes Github, and the last commits are dated from back in July.. Is there still any development going on there?

16. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

One nice thing about VLC is that it includes libDVDcss that is require by some apps, such as Fairmount and Handbrake, to have full functionality.

17. Ultramarcos macrumors newbie

I've been using VLC, QuickTime and Recently re-started to use XBMC.
    VLC is for sure the one best option for videos...on top of that, if you have an iPhone you can use the VLC remote App to manage it.
    But in terms of overal Media experience, XBMC is looking great, (I would even say a bit better than plex) but my big hustle with it is to get all my media organized...that is my real problem with my media Center right now!

18. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Download Perian for mac http://www.perian.org/
    It is a plugin that allows Quicktime to play a much much larger amount of video files

19. alec macrumors regular

Just wondering...

What's your issue with VLC? I haven't had any problems in my years of use...