Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Hi there, I am an avid VLC user and lover. However, recently it has started crashing every time I try to run video! As soon as I start playing any movie it will crash within five seconds.

I have deleted prefs files and cache files, and tried it with multiple versions .72, .81, and .82. I have restarted multiple times, etc. etc.

I have started a thread over at the VLC Forum but it seems that it doesn't have much activity. You can view my thread at

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=11889

Currently I have uploaded my crash log at

http://www.fluidvision.net/random/crashlog.txt

and posted logging from opening VLC via terminal in the thread linked above.

I really hope someone here can help me get it working. I love VLC and I miss it, I use it quite a lot.

Once again, I turn to the great community at macrumors to help me solve this problem. Thanks for your help.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I use to have similar problems. Some Divx files have two tracks of audio, 2-channel stereo and 5.1 channel Dolby.

Try setting your Audio Output module in coreaudio to device 1.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Lacero said:
I use to have similar problems. Some Divx files have two tracks of audio, 2-channel stereo and 5.1 channel Dolby.

Try setting your Audio Output module in coreaudio to device 1.

Gave it a shot, no luck. Still crashes right away and plays no audio up until that point.

Another thing is, these are files that used to play fine that are now crashing VLC.

Mplayer, Quicktime, etc. are all working fine, it just seems to be VLC.

edit: I also forgot to mention I have tried repair permissions, not sure why it would help but I tried. Still no luck.

edit 2: another thing, it seems I can fast forward and rewind videos without any problem. As long as I am clicking around on the time line it won't crash. It's only once I let it start playing normally that it takes the dive.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Chappers said:
This is a weird one for sure - I can only think of trying something like Yasu to clean up your system. http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21674 - good luck. Have you tried contacting the VLC people.

Hey man, thanks for the help. I tried running that utility you suggested to me, great utility, but no luck on fixing the problem.

I appreciate any insight anyone else can give, I really miss being able to run VLC, I just don't understand why it would stop working all of a sudden.

edit: Another note, it seems that no matter what user account I am under VLC still experiences these issues.

edit 2: I have started a forum topic on VLC's site hoping to get help. So far responses are slow though, I am hoping I will get some more insight soon.

eeeRIE

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2005
I like VLC, it does work well for me. But it is still slow and clumpy, should it not be?

For example, after viewing a video when I try to quit it always gives me the colorful pinwheel and freezes up for 5 or 10 seconds before quitting. When I'm simply skipping to a different part of a video, it also freezes up for a few seconds.

So what I've done is loaded up my Quicktime with plugins so most things do play in it. And I'll only use mplayer and VLC if I have to.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
eeeRIE said:
I like VLC, it does work well for me. But it is still slow and clumpy, should it not be?

For example, after viewing a video when I try to quit it always gives me the colorful pinwheel and freezes up for 5 or 10 seconds before quitting. When I'm simply skipping to a different part of a video, it also freezes up for a few seconds.

So what I've done is loaded up my Quicktime with plugins so most things do play in it. And I'll only use mplayer and VLC if I have to.

It did this to me before it stopped working. Beach ball and then quit, but it still worked great for playing video.

Does anyone else have any other opinions on how I can fix it? Anything, please, I'm on my knees.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Chappers said:
Sorry to ask but have you removed all preferences. both the plist and the entire VLC folder in all user preferences folders?

What Mac are you running?

Have contacted the VLC people?

Have you tried Xineplayer - its not bad either.

Also try something like
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22790
to check your preferences.

Hey there.

Yes I have deleted all preferences, including the folder and prefs file. I have tried this with multiple versions .72, .81, and .82. I have also started a forum thread over on the VideoLAN forums. So far responses have been slow.

The mac I am using that encounters this problem is a 17" Powerbook G4 1ghz, with 1.25g of RAM, running OS X 10.4.2.

I ran Preferential Treatment and found no problems. Also, XinePlayer seems to be great, I have installed it and it's working perfectally. I really like the UI and it functions well. However, it would be nice to not have to totally abort VLC as it is my favorite player by far.

Thanks for the help, any ideas?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well I can't think of anything else - maybe another application is causing a problem for you.

Of course you could do a clean install of macosx and then install VLC again and see if it works.Then install your other apps one at a time.... it might give an answer. This could take a long time so I think I would send an email to the VLC support people for help first.

This depends on how much you want to fix the problem and how much you want to use VLC.

Good luck.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Chappers said:
Well I can't think of anything else - maybe another application is causing a problem for you.

Of course you could do a clean install of macosx and then install VLC again and see if it works.Then install your other apps one at a time.... it might give an answer. This could take a long time so I think I would send an email to the VLC support people for help first.

This depends on how much you want to fix the problem and how much you want to use VLC.

Good luck.

Hey man, thanks for the help. Xineplayer is really nice so I will be sticking to that for now.

I am going to hangout over at the VLC forum and see if I can figure out my problem. I really don't feel that the whole issue is worth reinstalling OS X, so as long as everything else runs well I will just move away from VLC.

Maybe I will get lucky and 10.4.3 will fix my problem. If anyone else has any great ideas on how to fix this I am all ears.

Thanks again chappers.

daver22

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2005
Another "me, too"

Lazyhound said:
Just poking in to say I'm having exactly the same problem (iBook, Tiger).

I have been using VLC on this G5 for months. Today I (probably foolishly) applied the updates to QT (7.02), iTunes, Java, and the iTunes phone. I also installed a new retail copy of Peak LE, but the demo of that has been on the system forever.

After installing the updates, VLC went bonkers. If I right-click on the app and select open, half the time it launches two control panels that have to be "kill -9'd" to get rid of them. If it launches only one panel, it crashes if I touch it with the mouse.

I swear, Apple's updates are getting about as dangerous as Microsoft's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.