Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I recently got a new Mac (10.7.3) with dual monitors and want to play media using VLC. When I try go fullscreen, however, the second monitor gets pushed away and is replaced with the background your login screen has (the greyish one). I remember having a similar problem with VLC on an old computer with the second screen turning black and solving it by checking a box in the preferences but this does nothing this time. I have no luck with Google as they all seem to refer to a black screen and hinting at that checkbox to fix it.

Last edited:

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Yes, I'm doing that right now. Having the menu bars at the top and at the bottom is not the same, though. I'd like to be able to fill the entire screen.

You have to deactivate 'Use the native full screen mode on Lion OS X'.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I believe you have to uncheck both "Use the native fullscreen mode in OS X Lion" in "Interface" section of the preferences _and_ "Black screens in fullscreen mode" in "Video" section.

Locc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I'm afraid I all ready tried both. These are the settings I have right now:

0rHST.png

Cc6y3.png

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hmmm. I use those exact settings, and when I go full screen I still have windows open on the second monitor (i.e. it looks just like normal). Maybe trash your prefs and try again?

Rob

Locc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I cannot explain it but now it works just fine. Mind you that I didn't change anything. The only explanation I can think of is that I rebooted but then again, I'm pretty sure I rebooted several times while I had this issue.

Anyway, the problem is solved so thank you everybody for trying to help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.