Resolved VLC disables my second monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Locc, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Locc, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

Locc macrumors newbie

I recently got a new Mac (10.7.3) with dual monitors and want to play media using VLC. When I try go fullscreen, however, the second monitor gets pushed away and is replaced with the background your login screen has (the greyish one). I remember having a similar problem with VLC on an old computer with the second screen turning black and solving it by checking a box in the preferences but this does nothing this time. I have no luck with Google as they all seem to refer to a black screen and hinting at that checkbox to fix it.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. Locc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm doing that right now. Having the menu bars at the top and at the bottom is not the same, though. I'd like to be able to fill the entire screen.

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

You have to deactivate 'Use the native full screen mode on Lion OS X'.

5. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

I believe you have to uncheck both "Use the native fullscreen mode in OS X Lion" in "Interface" section of the preferences _and_ "Black screens in fullscreen mode" in "Video" section.

6. Locc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid I all ready tried both. These are the settings I have right now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Hmmm. I use those exact settings, and when I go full screen I still have windows open on the second monitor (i.e. it looks just like normal). Maybe trash your prefs and try again?

Rob

8. Locc thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot explain it but now it works just fine. Mind you that I didn't change anything. The only explanation I can think of is that I rebooted but then again, I'm pretty sure I rebooted several times while I had this issue.

Anyway, the problem is solved so thank you everybody for trying to help me.