VLC in New Macbook Pro Aluminium

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DirkBreeuwer, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

I've just bought this new Macbook Pro two weeks ago, today for the first time I wanted to see how well it plays DVDs. I first run into a problem....
    Yeah, dvd region codes! Never had those problems with my old pc, dunno why. Ok, so I read that VLC ignores or bypasses region restrictions, but I think there is something wrong with it running in this new macbook.

I insert the DVD I open it with VLC and nothing happens!

What do you guys recommend? Blockbuster here (In Guatemala) has so many region DVDs.

(By the way, I am a new mac user, and I am loving it)

2. nocoast macrumors member

3. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Mmmm, that's weird, It doesn't in mine. Or well, I am doing something extremely noobish and wrong. Do you want me to tell you step by step what did I do?

I have VLC o.9.6, I followed the instructions:

"Open Disc" from the "File" menu. Choose your disk type and then choose the drive in which you inserted the disk.

I have tried with two DVDs. Nothing happens.

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Have you set the region code yet? Try opening Apple's DVD Player with a DVD inserted, set the region code, then try VLC.

5. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

That was the trick, thanks

6. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

How do you find VLC 0.96 in playing h.264 MKV files?
    I am using a 2.8 Late08 MBP and it stutters lots while playing certain kinds of those files. I've reverted back to 0.86i and it plays perfectly smooth. Has anyone had this experience?

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried too many but the one 720p h264 MKV file I have plays smooth as ever on my 2.4ghz.