Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Mac MSN downloaded an update, called messenger.bin, but for some reason it opens the file with VLC!! What program runs the .bin file?

Serge N Gin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Australia
Mac MSN downloaded an update, called messenger.bin, but for some reason it opens the file with VLC!! What program runs the .bin file?

You need Stuffit Expander for mac.

Right/Ctrl-click on the .bin file and select Get Info. In the "Open With" section, select Stuffit Expander (once you have it downloaded/installed) from the pull down menu and click the "Change All" button. This will stop VLC from launching everytime you doubleclick on the .bin file. Otherwise you would need to launch Stuffit Expander first, then select "Open" from the "File" menu, then navigate to the .bin file to launch it.

^_^

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I thought the title was leaning towards people asking VLC team to make an alternative application to open .bin files. :confused:

But yeah, download Stuffit to open up the file.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield

VLC takes over .bin files because there are some .cue/.bin movie files that are found floating on the internet. I haven't used my mac for that long so I cant really think of the default program that opens application .bin files. Maybe you could try StuffiT?

welzmo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
can't open .bin

Stuffit doesn't open it nor does VLC, Archive Utility or Toast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.