Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
I'm having a few issues with VLC on my late 2013 15" rMBP.

It just doesn't seem to be very stable.

Often I will open up a video file and it will become unresponsive for about 30 seconds to a minute. The audio will play but the video will either freeze on the first frame or not display it at all. At this point I can either wait for a minute or I can force close. It will normally be ok if I re open but not always.

Last night it crashed mavericks completely (Kernal panic, I think, grey screen telling me I have to reset).

Also, when watching something through the HDMI lead there is always a grey bar present at the top (where the menu bar would be).

On a kind of unrelated note, how do I set OSX to open files with whatever program I want?

I right click, open other. tick the "always use this application" but that only seems to apply to that one particular file, not all files with the extension ".mp4" (for example).

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
On a kind of unrelated note, how do I set OSX to open files with whatever program I want?

I right click, open other. tick the "always use this application" but that only seems to apply to that one particular file, not all files with the extension ".mp4" (for example).
Once you’ve changed the default program for this file, the button for "Change All" is active.

This button will set your Mac to use the selected application to open files of this type. Click on that button.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
  1. Click on a file of the type that interests you.
  2. Press [cmd]+[i] or File/Get Info.
  3. In the resulting dialog box, scan down to the Opens with: popup menu.
  4. Select your preferred application.
  5. Press the Change All... button.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
That worked a treat, thanks.

So is anyone else suffering these instabilities?

I've tested this on 2 late rMBP and it's the same on both so I'm guessing it's a Mavericks issue.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
So is anyone else suffering these instabilities?

Don't have an rMBP, but on MBA 2012, the little I have used VLC seems to work OK although the UI feels a bit clunky.

As the poster above me I would also recommend using MPlayerX instead or if you have and Apple TV then Beamer is a must (stream to your TV without HDMI cable from your computer or AirPlay Mirroring).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.