VLC + "mime" files

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martosprint, Sep 10, 2010.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

When I receive a "mime" file from a windows user the iPad is unable to open it because it's a windows file type. I have to open it from my Mac computer. I don't have VLC on my computer. Well when the new VLC app for iPad comes out, will VLC open a "mime" file then?
    thanks for a reply 

2. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

No responses must mean it won't work I guess......

3. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Or it means that since the app isn't available yet, no one can answer your question?

4. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the reply. i guess it is hard to say if it would work if the app hasn't been released yet. It remains to be seen.

5. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

What the heck format is "mime" ????

There's MIME which is how attachements to email are made, but that has NOTHING to do with video formats.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MIME is an acronym for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension. It is not a specific filetype, but rather is a general protocol for encoding email attachments and associating files to compatible applications. Some Unix-based operating systems have used MIME to associate file extensions to applications across the OS.

Virtually any filetype can be a MIME-type--be it .docx, .divx, .epsf, or whatever. These include the filetypes that VLC can read. However, I don't believe that this is the question that you the answer to. The question that you want the answer to is "Will I be able to use VLC as my default viewer for compatible attachments?" My best guess is "Yes," but I have no way of knowing until the the viewer is released.

8. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

MisterMe, thanks for that explanation. Will just have to wait and see when the app comes available for the iPad. I don't have VLC on my iMac but those mime emails open up just fine using Mac mail on my computer. They just won't open in the iPad.