vlc mouse volume control issues and creating a install disk for a new mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MIDNIGHTlll, Oct 10, 2015.

1. MIDNIGHTlll macrumors newbie

im trying to control the volume up and down on a mac in vlc - i tried the volume hotkey but no option for mouse control in there or is it in the settings for mouse gestures have tried both with no result-

i also have one more question to ask i would like to have a install disk like they used to ship with the macbook pros to do a total reinstall of everything - i heard you can create a disk somewhere in the mac pro in the settings somewhere any guidence would be appreciated
    Thank You guys

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

In VLC you need to be over the video running for the up/down mouse scroll wheel to change the volume never had to set anything for that to work for me. It is disk maker x you are looking for that creates the restore media from the downloaded install .app you get from the App Store.

http://diskmakerx.com/

3. MIDNIGHTlll thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i never had any problem either would hover over vlc and could turn it down but for some reason that doesnt work guess i can reinstall vlc and see what happens - ok so lets say i put a new hard drive in the mac pro that and booted up the disk that i made- will it shoot all the drivers and software over to new drive just want to make its not some type of recovery disk

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your MacPro has a built-in recovery system on a hidden partition of the SSD.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21976?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US
    That will take care of most any issue to reinstall your system.

If you replace (or completely erase) your SSD, then you can use Internet Recovery, which will reinstall your original OS X system directly from Apple's servers. The App Store will allow you to download all the other Apple apps.

Or, as MacUser2525 suggested - you can download your present OS X installer app, then use one of several methods to create a bootable external drive or USB flash drive. DiskmakerX is an easy solution.
    That will give you a bootable installer, allowing you to reinstall without waiting for all the system files to download - or reinstall if you are, for some reason, away from an internet connection.

Of course, you already should keep a current backup on an external drive, so if bad things happen, you can reinstall, or even run your system from the external. :D

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Strange just checked on version 2.2.1 here and it still works, perhaps a re-install may be worth a try. With an Install disk which is what you will make using that program then you have the option once it completes the OS X install that it will allow you to migrate all your files from the old disk still in the machine or external enclosure connected to the machine. You will end up with all the same settings/drivers/users that you had on the old install on new disk if that is what you choose to do. You also can do this restoring from a Time Machine backup or machine connected via a network.

6. MIDNIGHTlll thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys- to me nothing beats the actual disks- im still getting used to downloading everything and pdfs for books and of course the cloud -wow just realized thats sounds like something my dad would say next ill be saying how i had one shoe and walked 30 miles to school everyday :]

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You will get used to it.
    Apple has not supplied a DVD since 10.6
    10.7 was available for a short time from Apple in a flash drive form.
    Since then, only downloads, no hard media of any kind.

On the other hand, you can re-download most any of the systems, if you have ever "purchased" through the App store.
    That gives me assurance that I can get an uncorrupted copy, if I need it. And, it is always the latest version, whatever that might be.