VLC on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reelknead1, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I have the original VLC player on my iphone where i can drag movie files from iTunes and it will import them into my iphone. I've noticed that the app is no longer available in the app store. Is there anyway to get this app on my new ipad or am i out of luck?

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Only if you have it backed up to the computer. Also not sure if it will work well in the new OS. It has been off the app store for a while now, so no recent updates.

3. Stouver macrumors member

Just install the iPhone version onto your iPad.

4. klover macrumors 6502a

5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I have an old copy of VLC. Works great on the iPad (latest). You should be able to sync your iphone copy to the iPad.

6. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have my iPhone backed up to my MBP but haven't plugged my new ipad in yet. So if i plug the ipad in i will be able to just go to purchased apps on the computer and install it on the ipad?

7. supernet33 macrumors regular

Yes, I did it and it works

8. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know thank you very much. I have a ton of movies and shows on my time capsule and would love to take them with me on my iPad when i go on trips.

Does anyone know what rule VLC broke with their app that it was pulled?

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Since you have the new ipad, grab Oplayer HD from the app store. Its been updated to support the dual core processor and dropbox.

I know vlc is free but its limited.

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

+1

Oplayer is updating to keep up with the newer tech

11. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Or, considering you have a Mac, just download Handbrake, which is free, then convert all your video files into something that the Video player in your iPad can play.

I had VLC on my iPad1, and it played great with iOS 5.1. I ended up losing it when I got my new iPad because I never used my new Macbook to backup my old iPad. Oh well, it sucks but Handbrake can convert my video files for me, so I don't see a point in it anymore.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I second this. I didn't get a chance to download VLC before it was removed from the app store. I've been using Oplayer HD for a while now and it's great. My 720p .mkv and .avi files play without any problems whatsoever.

13. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll look into that but the nice thing is with VLC i can just pull off the files from my time cap and dump them onto the ipad without running handbreak and converting them which would take an hour or so to do with a couple movies.

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If memory serves me well (I don't have my iPad with me to check it for sure), but I think Oplayer also has the same drag and drop interface as VLC within iTunes. No converting necessary here either :)

15. Calvinator666 macrumors member

You can get GPlayer instead. Works exactly the same like VLC.

16. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I have VLC on my iPhone but not my iPad. How can I extract the .apk to load it onto my iPad?

17. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Newer video player apps like Aceplayer even supports Samba file servers on the same wifi network. So I'd suggest the OP to download these apps instead of the old and pretty useless vlc app.