VLC or Flip4Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joemero, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

Which one do most of you use? Which one is better for playing wmv files? do most of you download both or just one? is one better than the other?

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I currently am using Flip4Mac and Perian. I've not come across much that I can't play with these two plug-ins installed.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I used to use all three: VLC, Perian, and Flip4Mac. Recently I have been having issues streaming Quicktime vids online, so I uninstalled Perian and Flip4Mac, so I use VLC now. While removing the plugins didn't fix my issue (seems to be an issue with Firefox 3.5), I haven't missed them much. I prefer VLC's small footprint and interface much more then Quicktime. Might change with Quicktime X, but I doubt it.

4. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I use all three - VLC, Perian and Flip4Mac.

I have been having the same problem. However, I don't want to uninstall Perian or Flip4Mac, as there are some videos (mostly wmv) that don't play well in VLC. Also, for some AVI files, VLC gives me an error message saying "the file index is damaged - repair or don't repair" (somewhat like the old MS-DOS error messages - "no disk in drive A: - abort, retry, ignore, cancel or fail" :D). Anyway, if I tell VLC don't repair, the error message keeps popping up twice a second. And telling VLC to repair the file takes forever. For these reasons, I still need to use Quicktime.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Perian + Flip4Mac + Quicktime. The only time I use VLC is if the volume on the file is really low, because VLC lets me crank it up a lot higher.

6. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I installed only Perian and wmv files wont play, guess I need flip4mac too?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I use both Flip4Mac and VLC.

Sometimes I use RealPlayer. :eek:

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

yes. That's a good combo.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Windows thinking. This is not an either/or question. Flip4Mac and Perian work well together. They also work well with most other codecs.

10. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I use Perian + Quicktime.

Have not had a problem with anything not playing. Maybe I've just been to picky about what files I download. :D

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use all three.

12. celticpride678

I use Flip4Mac, VLC and Perian to avoid all possibilities of compatibility issues.

Obviously I use QuickTime too.

13. dash06 macrumors newbie

VLC vs perian

I dont use flip4mac. Have never needed it and heard bad things - slow/errors etc.
    VLC seems to do whatever I need and I prefer it to perian as it has a playlist and gives you keyboard controls of audio delay etc. so you can re-sync out of time video etc. There is another called Movist which is pretty cool. Plays all Windows formats and can even play on the desktop.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I use VLC and Quicktime player for everything. I find Flip4Mac annoying. You can build VLC 1.0.6 as a 64-bit app in Macports.