VLC or MPlayer: which one would you use to use these files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HalleluYAH, Aug 14, 2007.

1. HalleluYAH macrumors newbie

I don't know exactly how to do work with commands in the command-line in the binary-version of MPlayer, and VLC doesn't seem to work when I try to play a video with the subtitles-file, which came with that video.

Would you or anyone else, who knows how to use the command line please tell me exactly what I need to do (please tell me step-by-step) to make a subtitles-file (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.sub) work with a video-file (filename: vmt-tears-xvid.avi) in the binary-version of MPlayer?

So far, I've been given some instructions (quoted below) about how to solve this problem, but I need step-by-step instructions so I can correctly use the command line within the binary-version of MPlayer as this person mentioned:
    Code:
    mplayer vmt-tears-xvid.avi -sub vmt-tears-xvid.sub

2. murfle macrumors regular

Where did you save the mplayer binary? If you go to the terminal (in utilities), change to that directory. Then for the command, start it with ./
    so...
    ./mplayer <command line options>

The ./ will tell the OS that you're looking in the current directory instead of the $PATH variable as he mentioned.

If your avi and sub file are in different directories, you'll have to qualify the path for each in the command line

./mplayer /Users/blah/Desktop/whatever.avi -sub /Users/blah/Desktop/something.sub

On that note, I grabbed the source code and compiled my own, and I use the GUI, not the command line.

3. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

What sort of problem did you have with VLC? In order to use a separate subtitles file, you should use the 'open' dialog (shift+command+O). Also, according the VLC user's guide, where .sub files are concerned, you should select the .idx file, and not the .sub file.

4. HalleluYAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Murfle, I didn't save the MPlayer binary. Would you: please tell me how you compiled a video-file & subtitles-file? or direct me to a website that has file-compiling-instructions? Thanks for your previous suggestions & helpful tips.
    The problem was that VLC wouldn't play the subtitles-file along with the video that was downloaded along with it. Thanks for your suggestions & help.

5. mayoko185 macrumors member

I use a special build of mplayer found here, that fully supports subtitles. Just make sure the sub file has the same file name and press j on your keyboard to turn the subs on.

EDIT: I know this build works with .srt and .ssa/.ass files at least I dont see why it wouldent work with .sub/.idx files :)

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

mplayer has a GUI version for Mac OS X, so I'm puzzled as to why you are using the command line version, even Windows has a GUI version of mPlayer now.

In VLC go to Video==>Subtitles to enable the subtitles, though if you've been given instructions for mPlayer then use those if the VLC thing doesn't work as I haven't got any video files with subtitles to test.

8. HalleluYAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate your kindness. I will get that version of MPlayer.
    I know what you mean.
    I wasn't using the command-line (binary-version) of MPlayer to play that video-file & subtitles-file. Thanks for telling me what to do with VLC.