VLC or my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

skips or pauses rather sometimes when I am playing a video no flashes no nothing else that would lead me to believe its a video card problem other than the short pause/skip so what if any settings should I be checking? THANKS!

2. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Have you tried using other video players that are available to you (for example maybe Quicktime?)

Also, do you have any other programs that are graphically intensive and if so do those have issues as well?

3. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

Have you got the latest version of VLC installed? I agree with PiusPatronus try using a different program and see if the same error occurs.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This wouldn't be attributed to your GPU, as your CPU can easily deal with the load and AFAIK OpenCL isn't used in VLC, therefore your GPU can easily be canceled out as the troublemaker. What's your idle CPU %? Are you doing many other tasks at the same time? Having many applications open and rendering HD quality video in VLC could certainly put too much load on the CPU thus slowing down VLC.

The file you're trying to watch could be corrupted, too.

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

hey guys thanks for the replies.. lets see

1. I dont think I run many programs and none of which I would consider graphically intensive. I have a 2.8 and I only use to download torrents, surf the web and watch the shows I downloaded, I files I downloaded are usually just typical 300mb files for a episode sort of thing, not the true HD quality files.

2. I havent really run quicktime in a while, reason I run VLC is coz of the volume, coz quicktime is kind of soft and this skip or pause problem happens to every single file i have watched so far... so I am gonna take your advice and try quicktime and see if theres an issue...

3. now, if there isnt what options do i have? I have already downloaded the newest version and had previously reinstalled as well to no avail

oh and even now as i am downloading stuff and using the net my usage is less than 20% of the CPU

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No one can really help you until you provide us the details on the video files, including container, video and audio codecs, frame size and bit rate.

7. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

Had the same problem with VLC. Try Movist instead, solved the skipping problem right away.

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I dont even know these r just normal tv programs torrent files nothing complicated. avi file i tried clicking more info but i dont see the info you mentioned....

I tried using quicktime... doesnt happen as often...

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Use Movist

Ok i tired Movist and i must say no skips nothing... i dont know what is different but it is as loud as VLC, I wonder why this is the first I have heard of it... everyone should be using it... whats the benefit of VLC? hmmm anyways so far so good not one skip... touch wood.. wont be using vlc or quicktime anytime soon if it continues as is:)
    THANKS for the tip.

10. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

You could have always went the Plex route, though its a bit more of a media streaming player. I'm going to give this movist thing a shot.

11. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

It happens so much on VLC, but people still recommend it so I just accepted it as a part of life. I'll have to try Movist as well.

12. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah I been watching "TV" all afternoon and not a problem so try it out guys and tell me how it is for you guys.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Interesting. I've never had a problem with VLC on mg PBG4, unless I try to play something too high resolution for the computer anyway.

14. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Plex is king for smooth playback on a dual core system, just too bad its so media centered orientated unlike VLC and Movist (which I really don't see as any better then VLC, it still can't play 1080p H.264 video smoothly, but Plex can)

15. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

its quite difficult to download tv in 1080p anyways movies there r and you have to join one of those newgroups and downloads take forever but I do see your point if you are someone that DOES download those sort of files then I guess it may not be the player for you but having just experienced the diff for normal files between the 3 players. I stick with movist I really dont know why but theres a diff most definitely..

16. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Is your copy of VLC using "memory-mapped file input?"

1. Open VLC
    2. Open VLC's preferences and in the lower left corner switch from "Basic" to "All"
    3. Within the list open "Input / Codecs" and select "Access modules."
    4. Then from the drop down box choose "Memory-mapped file input."
    5. Press "save," close VLC and try to play your file again.
    6. Oh and the last part use cause not coz and are not r in posts! I cannot emphasize this enough.

Source: Stuttering playback on the Mac? Try this!

17. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

1. thanks for the info, I will try it out right now.

And I will use whatever I please if it disturbs you that much too bad.. but thanks for the info tho :) I can go on and on but I am gonna leave it at that.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Cool, cool. If you want to look uneducated, be our guest. ;)

Bad spelling/grammar online is one of my pet peeves too. Is it really so hard to take the extra .5 seconds per longish word to type out the whole thing? The main reason you want to spell it all out is because it makes you look uneducated and lazy, not because it annoys us. While it annoys me, you certainly have the right to type however you want. I understand txt-speech is necessary for some things (like texts on a cell phone which have a limited number of characters) but on internet forums there's no necessity.

Don't take this as a criticism, I'm not trying to criticize you at all. Proper spelling and grammar is essential for impressions in a text-only world such as this, that's all. Plus, it makes posts much easier to read.

19. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Dude that actually works lol. My machine always had an issue handling the IMAX bits of my TDK 1080p rip (I also own it on Blu-Ray so relax piracy BEASTS) and I would have to use Movist or Plex (best bet) for smooth playback. That fix for VLC fixed it all. What exactly is it doing differently.

20. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Amusing. Doesn't make it legal.

I'm not a piracy beast, I can't exactly point fingers in this dept. Just wanted to make sure you knew that simply having another copy doesn't make it legal to have it on your computer (though I too think it should).

21. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Try downloading the latest version. A new version got released today.:)

22. pellebee macrumors member

hey!

Thanks for this post! I have had many a problem with my VLC as well. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.

Will try movist, thanks for the tips! :D

23. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Actually it's a bit more complicated. Making a single unaltered copy for backup purposes or to allow playback on an unsupported system for personal use is generally considered fair use and therefore legal. However, circumventing copy protection or encryption even for the purpose of making otherwise legal copies violates the DMCA in the US and is therefore illegal.

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yup. And you can't get a 1080p rip of a movie without circumventing copy protection from a Blu-Ray (or, God forbid, HD DVD).

25. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Same goes for regular DVDs actually.