Vlc or similar app

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by joscejrod, Oct 31, 2015.

1. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Hello, do you know if players like vlc are going to support local content storage in Apple tv4? I've thinking about this since it was presented, because I'd like to play something that I've download in my mac without turning on the mac. Now, plex can only stream video from mac, but it can't store content. If the answers is YES (I hope so...), how could store that content, through itunes?? With iphone ipads you can do that, because these devices sync through itunes...but what about apple tv4??

2. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'd be surprised, considering Apples insistence on conserving space on the new Apple TV if they would allow this.

Maybe apps will show up eventually with some sort of temporary caching of files, but I doubt permanently. As it is just now Apple isn't allowing apps to store files (outside of required assets) on the device itself. Instead saving of files must be done on iCloud instead of the device.

Of course streaming video is cached to a degree by the system, but its not kept permanently. As soon as you've finished watching the stream the space is made available to be overwritten by other software.

3. Kaffrey macrumors newbie

Kaffrey

I've installed 'Simplex' which works well with your Plex media server.