Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I dont get it have the maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro tb and the newest vlc player is so laggy going into full screen mode and normal, why is it so laggy like stuttering the Mac is so powerful and vlc works so quick on my bootcamp windows 10, plz help

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Try restart with reopen windows when logging back in unchecked. Any better?

Did you have this issue as soon as you installed VLC, or shortly after? If the issue occured recently, drag VLC from the Applications folder into AppCleaner: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_3.4.zip

Delete all files, restart the machine again with the reopen option unchecked.

Also is your version of macOS fully up to date (10.12.5)?

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Try restart with reopen windows when logging back in unchecked. Any better?

Did you have this issue as soon as you installed VLC, or shortly after? If the issue occured recently, drag VLC from the Applications folder into AppCleaner: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_3.4.zip

Delete all files, restart the machine again with the reopen option unchecked.

Also is your version of macOS fully up to date (10.12.5)?
Thanks for your response yeah im running latest os and ive tryed everything but just cant seem to get it to be fast even i had this problem with last version 2.2.4 and with a fresh install, does your vlc on mac full screen without lag

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for your response yeah im running latest os and ive tryed everything but just cant seem to get it to be fast even i had this problem with last version 2.2.4 and with a fresh install, does your vlc on mac full screen without lag

I'm afraid I don't have the maxed out 2016 to test (much as I'd love to!) But it does seem very unusual.

Not sure if it'll work on your model but try testing by forcing both iGPU and dGPU in GFXCardStatus: http://gfx.io/downloads/gfxCardStatus-2.3.zip

Also leave it on 'auto' and see if VLC activates the dGPU?

So basically we're verifying if VLC uses discreet graphics when it's running and if the problem persists with both integrated & discreet. Hopefully this'll isolate where the issue lies.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I'm afraid I don't have the maxed out 2016 to test (much as I'd love to!) But it does seem very unusual.

Not sure if it'll work on your model but try testing by forcing both iGPU and dGPU in GFXCardStatus: http://gfx.io/downloads/gfxCardStatus-2.3.zip

Also leave it on 'auto' and see if VLC activates the dGPU?

So basically we're verifying if VLC uses discreet graphics when it's running and if the problem persists with both integrated & discreet. Hopefully this'll isolate where the issue lies.
Yeah i have mine always set to use higher graphics so the dgpu i didnt know if it was a problem with my mac set up or vlc isnt optimised for mac

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
VLC is on 2.2.5.1

Even without graphics acceleration a 7 years old CPU can run anything up to 2K smoothly.

Unless you're trying to play something that no computer can currently play.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
VLC is on 2.2.5.1

Even without graphics acceleration a 7 years old CPU can run anything up to 2K smoothly.

VLC is on 2.2.5.1

I have latest version and latest macbook pro the vlc opens any file yes and runs smooth but my point is when i double click to full screen it stutters so badly

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I have latest version and latest macbook pro the vlc opens any file yes and runs smooth but my point is when i double click to full screen it stutters so badly
Have no idea what video size or coded you are playing and then what you call a bad stutter during a single action might be completely acceptable for someone else. Perception is not an objective or tangible quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.