Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I find using the Apple Remote with VLC Player a dangerous game when it comes to pressing the rewind/fast forward buttons. For example, you have to hold it down briefly for it to rewind, but if you don't hold it down long enough it goes all the way back to the start of the video!

So ideally, I'd like to VLC to skip back 3 seconds (shortcut ⌘^←) when I hit rewind, no matter how short or long I hold it down.

I've looked in the preferences, and I've no idea what the Apple Remote buttons match up to in the keyboard shortcuts.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not sure if you can do it in VLC, but look at remote buddy.

you can assign keystrokes to any button on the apple remote, on a per app basis.

mitt22

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Be carefull with that remote buddy, that app only did worse to me. The app is alright but it causes problems if you try to uninstall it.

After trying and unistalling that app my remote control stopped working with VLC and some other apps.
I have just spent a few hours trying to find the solution. Well, in my case the problem was Remote Buddy Driver that has left in system even after uninstalling Remote Buddy.
The only way to uninstall that driver is to install their so called Candelair https://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/
Manual removing Remote Buddy didn't help but you need to to it anyway https://www.iospirit.com/support/fa...al/entry/188/How-do-I-uninstall-Remote-Buddy/

Also you might wanna install a patch to prevent starting iTunes whenever you press the play button on the keyboard or an external remote control.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I've abandoned VLC player for movie/tv show use and use Plex running on a hackintosh. The Apple remote works perfectly with it.

Apple could really learn a thing from the rewind/fast forward in Plex, press it once and it skips ~5 secs. Rewinding/fast forwarding on the Apple TV is a nightmare and useless.

gozulin

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
I've abandoned VLC player for movie/tv show use and use Plex running on a hackintosh. The Apple remote works perfectly with it.

Apple could really learn a thing from the rewind/fast forward in Plex, press it once and it skips ~5 secs. Rewinding/fast forwarding on the Apple TV is a nightmare and useless.

One year later, it appears Apple listened to you and did exactly that for the Apple TV 4 :D

unblocktheplane

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
A friend just gave me his Apple TV, complete with 3G remote. I don't use Apple TV but I'm hoping the remote will perform with VLC:

What I'm after is fast forward / rewind. What buttons, please, & how to use.

I have a 5TB Mac mini for video. I like VLC. Have not used Plex. Perhaps it is as versatile but it seems, well, overkill.

Hints, please. TIA!

bobtom0

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2023
Regarding using VLC with an Apple Remote, I'm currently using the Apple Remote successfully using VLC v3.0.18 on a Late 2012 Mac Mini. To fix the stopping/restarting of the video when the 'fast forward' or 'rewind/reverse' button is pressed on the Apple Remote, go into VLC 'Preferences -> Show all options -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> macosx' then enable/check the option for 'Control playlist items with the Apple Remote' under the section 'Apple Remote and media keys'. With this option enabled, the 'fast forward' and 'rewind/reverse' buttons just skip/seek/jump +10/-10 seconds respectively in the currently playing video.

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2023
Regarding using VLC with an Apple Remote, I'm currently using the Apple Remote successfully using VLC v3.0.18 on a Late 2012 Mac Mini. To fix the stopping/restarting of the video when the 'fast forward' or 'rewind/reverse' button is pressed on the Apple Remote, go into VLC 'Preferences -> Show all options -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> macosx' then enable/check the option for 'Control playlist items with the Apple Remote' under the section 'Apple Remote and media keys'. With this option enabled, the 'fast forward' and 'rewind/reverse' buttons just skip/seek/jump +10/-10 seconds respectively in the currently playing video.
I just tried this using VLC 3.0.18 on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro. It partially worked in that now the play/pause button controls VLC, *but* the right and left buttons simply restart playback from the beginning of the file rather than seeking +/- 10 seconds. How would I enable the jump +/- 10 seconds feature? Restarting playback is pretty useless for my purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.