Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Seriously, get Quicktime Pro. It' so woth the what? 30 bucks?

Just download the Perian and Flip4Mac plugins to play .avi, .wmv and other funny formats such as DivX and XviD.

I though it was bogus too, but I really am glad I got it. I know it's illegal to discuss this, but if you're really desperate, there are sites distributing free serial keys, I howver do not support that, and recommend that you buy it from Apple.

Just get it. You'll love it. So many cool features. You can also convert fra .avi to .mov so you can add your movies to iTunes.

Also, VLC is buggy and crashy as hell, QT never goes wrong, and supports live video in the dock, which makes stupid windows users drool.:D

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I had lots of trouble with VLC until I realized I was running the PowerPC incarnation. Haven't had any problems since I moved to the Intel build.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
If you frequently view .mkv files and .ogm files, you will find that they do not open in Quicktime player. Also, if they are soft subbed or have multiple audio tracks, there is no way (to my knowledge) to switch the audio or subtitle tracks in MPlayer. VLC is definitely a good investment.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't think a Universal binary will be here soon for VLC. Just live with the separate PowerPC and Intel binaries for now.

I haven't had ANY problems playing .mkv and .ogm files using VLC. h.264 in .mkv does have some slowdown issues but that's a common problem.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I don't think a Universal binary will be here soon for VLC. Just live with the separate PowerPC and Intel binaries for now.

I haven't had ANY problems playing .mkv and .ogm files using VLC. h.264 in .mkv does have some slowdown issues but that's a common problem.

I said there'd be problems playing .mkv in Quicktime, not VLC.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sorry, I'm rather sleepy right now.:eek:

When I said problems, I meant that it wouldn't work at all.
.mkv and .ogm are rather obscure video encapsulation formats. I had to make sure I had a player for them on OS X before I switched. Hope for a Quicktime plug but I doubt you'll ever see any support from Apple.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
.mkv and .ogm are rather obscure video encapsulation formats. I had to make sure I had a player for them on OS X before I switched. Hope for a Quicktime plug but I doubt you'll ever see any support from Apple.

Yeah, I used to always use VLC for them, but now that I have dual monitors, VLC only plays on the smaller monitor (most likely due to the age of my computer and video card) so I use MPlayer more often now.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I have Perian for QT installed, but I still find VLC to be the superior player for the various AVI files I download (as well as all those others, OGM, MKV, etc.). Especially as you mention when the file has soft subs or multiple audio tracks.

The Intel build works fine, about as stable as the PPC version was (it crashes now n then, but nothing annoying).

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Video -> Video Device -> Your Larger Monitor

It shows up as just a black screen (which occasionally flashes the video) when I do that. I've already done everything I can think of doing, so I'll just use the smaller monitor (for the times I can't use MPlayer) until I replace this machine within a year.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've had no problems with VLC on my MBP, and I didn't have any problems on my iBook either. Just make sure that you get the intel build and not the powerpc build. You can check by going into activity monitor when VLC is open and it will tell you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.