Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phunK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I recently bought iMac 21'' and I am still in adaptation phase..
I am using VLC player for playing .avi and .mkv files. I never installed any codecs or something like that... I only DLed VLC player...
I have noticed that in some of the sequences (like scenes with a few colours - dark night / open sea, or credits in the beginning of the movie, especially when it comes to animations...) movie is always cutting during the playback.. It's never happening except in these situations.
I ignored this problem in the beginning but now I thought someone could help me with it ...
I hope someone will understand what I am trying to say.

Thanx in Advance.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I thought this was going to be a subtitle situation in VLC.

Have you given Perian for Quicktime a spin yet? It's strange that you're having playback issues issues in those situations. Can you give more information on the specifications of your Mac?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
library

You said you were new on the iMac. So was I, and I couldn't find the library to install the component. So if you've difficults installing the component "perian" here are some first instructions were to find the library (cause I couldn't find, maybe you did). Open finder, go to you local harddisk (with the os on it), so not a map but the hard disk, most likely called: macintosh HD. In there you'll find a map called library. The rest of the instructions will come with the download.

phunK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I have installed and updated Perian, but I still have the same problem...
I don't think my config has anything to do with this problem but here it is:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

When I'm playing movie, for example - During the opening credits when you have only two colours (eg. black background and white letters), I get this "cutting" problems.. If the name of the movie or an actor should go slowly over the screen - It freezes in one moment and continue from the different point of screen, skipping less than a second..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.