VLC/Quicktime troubles-- can't play older AVI files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Redcephalopod, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Redcephalopod macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded VLC and Quicktime, and now older AVI files that have been previously playable are not. This is not ALL of my previously-working AVIs-- but a lot of them, for sure. I have tried deleting the VLC folder and VLC prefs .plist file from the LIbrary folder, and downloaded and installed Perian.

I usually just open all my movie files in VLC, but when I try these older ones they either don't work or play what I believe to be a random song from my iTunes. When I try to open them in Quicktime, I'm given a OSStatus error -50.

Any help would be VERY, VERY appreciated.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

First thing I would try would be to revert to an earlier version of VLC.

4. Redcephalopod thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I even discern codecs? Like, is there an index of installed codecs on my computer I can look at somewhere? How would I look at a movie file and discern what codec it was in? Sorry for all the questions...

Alright, just did it. No difference, sadly. :confused:

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With the video open in either the QuickTime Player or VLC, press [cmd]+[ i ].

6. Redcephalopod thread starter macrumors newbie

Okeydoke, here's an example. It says MPEG, looks like:

[​IMG]

7. Redcephalopod thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks as though the only AVI files I can play are the ones using the Xvid codec.

8. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Hi, try the free program D-Vision 3, on the tools you can change the codec to xvid, hopefully you'll be able to trick vlc with that...
    good luck!!!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you have Flip4Mac installed?

10. Redcephalopod thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I do-- at work at present. It's never caused problems in the past, and I think I downloaded it and then never used it.

11. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I think I'm having the same problems. I upgraded VLC to v1.0.1and now it won't play my movies, I've only tried a couple FLV files however they DID play b4 on the previous version of VLC.

Does anyone know why? Anyway I reverted back for now but would still like to know what's causing the files not to play on the new version.