VLC suddenly not playing movies?

stormypenguin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to look for help in, but it seemed the most fitting...

If anybody is familiar with VLC I would appreciate your help -

Today I tried to open up a movie I downloaded last night. Yesterday movies were playing fine in VLC, today, nothing plays, and it stops responding when I try to close it.

I'm utterly lost!

Thanks..

stormypenguin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Thank you for the reply -

They are .avi files. newest version of VLC, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling... repaired permissions... restarted computer... OS X 10.5.8.

And all movie files were playing normally up to this...

Thank you.

lwseagull

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
VLC stopped playing avi files

I use VLC to play avi movies/tv on my macbook pro. it worked fine for a couple of years. then it stopped playing after a couple of minutes and VLC became unresponsive. The same thing happened with avi files that played fine the day before.
I upgraded VLC to the latest version. 2.1.4 Rincewind
I updated OSX Lion to the latest version. 10.7.5
I re-installed OSX.
It problem stayed exactly the same.
Most interestingly, I downloaded an add-on to play avi files in QT.... And got exactly the same problem!!! Which led me to believe it could be a H/W problem.
I ran AHT and it said everything was fine.
Yours was the only post I found anywhere on the internet, that describe exactly the same problem.

Did you ever find a solution?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
To the poster directly above?

What happens when you RIGHT click on a video file, and choose "Open with..." VLC ?

lwseagull

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
I tried RightClick and OpenWith VLC. Result exactly as before. I also tried it with QuickTime; Same result.
My plan is to wipe the disk and reinstall OSX from scratch. However I want to exhaust all other avenues before I try that, in case I delete something I've forgotten to backup.

lwseagull

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
Problem solved

I fixed the problem by downloading the latest version of vuze; Deleting the avi files, torrents etc. and Downloading them again from scratch.
I still have no idea what the problem was. Files on the mac don't suddenly corrupt themselves, and leave no trace for the Disk Utility to find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.