VLC very unstable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Jul 22, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Recently noticed that VLC player is really unstable - often crashes and cause my whole computer to lock up.

It is sometimes triggered when I exit full screen mode then enter full screen mode again. Othertimes, it just freezes, and I have to restart my MBP.

It is only VLC that I have experienced this lockup with - a fair amount of the time it is fine, but no other application causes this.

Anyone else suffering from similar problems?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this 0.8.6c? I've honestly never really experienced VLC to be crashy, so I wonder if it would be worth exploring deleting its caches and plists and so forth?

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've had similar problems ever since I first downloaded VLC until when I upgraded to 0.86c.

Do you have that version?

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ahh didn't realise there was a revision "c" out, I was still on "a".

Thanks - I'll take "c" for a test drive and hopefully it'll stop these problems.

5. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I have c also and have not had a single crash... every now and then I'll get a little alert telling me it can't play a file (only when I accidentally try to get it to play something that's not a video file).

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm pretty sure I have the latest VLC, and I can tell you that sometimes, it's just terrible. Videos will blur if you try to fast forward, and sometimes, the sound won't work the first time around. All around, the only reason I keep it is because of the full screen and playlist capabilities.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Remember Perian and Flip4Mac and that the new Quicktime does full-screen video.

Otherwise you can always try mPlayer.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The new Quicktime? Really? I hadn't tried it yet. I always assumed that Apple wanted you to pay for full screen:p

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They finally got that one right. (for future readers this is in Quicktime 7.2)

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:cool: Now all I want is playlists, and I'll be in heaven.

I know, I just checked my Quicktime, and it was there! (You editted your post while I was typing, so then I was forced to edit :p )

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

VLC seems to be more stable now, although it just crashed when I quit it.

Apart from that, I guess its alright. Just another pet hate - why can't VLC, or any other player for that matter, hold information on the screen size you last played it in?

I hate having to resize my videos.