VLC - where did it go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolbreeze, Mar 16, 2012.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I downloaded VLC forever ago before it was pulled. I just went to the cloud purchased apps and it's not there. I had an iPad 1 long ago and didn't restore from a backup.

Anything I can do to redownload the app? I have it on my iPhone 4...

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't exist anymore since they got booted off of the app store. Download GoodPlayer or a variant.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Search for it on your purchased list you might have to scroll for it though. Lot of scrolling but it should be there.

You can also use OPlayer HD, it is far superior.

5. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I understand that. Nevermind. I'll just look through my external drive backups. It's on there somewhere.

6. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

This is the one thing I'm not looking forward to when getting the new iPad, well that and being out $600. I felt the VLC app was 1 major update away from being the best video player app ever. Its a damn shame they took themselves off the App Store. So dumb on their part.

7. Techwriter macrumors regular

Like Coolbreeze, I also need VLC on my new iPad. I can't test it yet because the iPad isn't getting here until 10:00pm. I have VLC on my iPhone. It's also stored in iTunes. Can I simply drag it to the iPad when it's connected to iTunes? Will it work?

8. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Avplayerhd is what you want.

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Not dumb. The guy who is mostly responsible for VLC never authorized an iOS version. Another company stole his code and tried to make money off of it by doing an iOS port.

The guy who owns the code doesn't like the terms that Apple sets for the app store. Apple wouldn't budge on their terms so he had them remove the app. His ball, and he decided to take it home.

Its no more stupid than Apple subjectively removing apps themselves. One of the drawbacks of being stuck in a walled garden.