VLC won't let MBPr shutdown

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hasek3139, Jul 15, 2014.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 MBPr , and I use VLC as Im sure many of you do. I usually put music or a tv show on while i go to bed and have my pro shutdown at around 3/4am , but recently when i wake up and look at the screen, an error message comes up saying "VlC wouldn't let the MBP shutdown"

anyone know why?

thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That app was active and it either ignored the request to shut down but the OS or was unable too.

Check the preferences to see if there's anything you can do to alter that behavior.

3. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

tried that already but didn't find anything :( i also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, which didn't work

4. bennynova macrumors member

going to bed w/ a TV on isn't healthy
    you might even have some crazy dreams

5. brucem91 macrumors 6502

That won't solve anything, its a behavior built into OSX. Try it while you are awake. With VLC open try to power off and you'll get the same warning. What about looking into an apple script that runs say 10 minutes before shutdown that closes VLC. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

6. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

how would i do that?

7. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Check out this thread, specifically sailj32's answer. His applescript includes both shutting down VLC, waiting 10 seconds, then powering off OSX. I currently don't have a Mac, so I can't confirm.

To setup, under energy saver remove the shutdown time.

Then in iCal, set an event to run the script 0 minutes before a specific time every night.