VLC

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I cant figure out why Vlc keeps crashing when i try to play a movie.. iam trying to play *.wmv and it just crashs or freezes.. some time vlc will just freeze when its launched. i have already repaired my permissions.

oh yea i have a mac mini 1.42 with a gig of ram.. any ideas? :confused:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
VLC never could play my WMV files. I just use QT with the F4M plugin, or use Windows Media Player as a last resort.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
EvilDoc said:
I cant figure out why Vlc keeps crashing when i try to play a movie.. iam trying to play *.wmv and it just crashs or freezes.. some time vlc will just freeze when its launched. i have already repaired my permissions.

oh yea i have a mac mini 1.42 with a gig of ram.. any ideas? :confused:
Just download and install Windows Media Player. Life is too short.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
VLC= Very Likely to Crash
It's the best media player for DiVX stuff, but god damn if it doesn't crash every 2 seconds. My friends and I have determined that the script that closes it is actually a buffer overrun. At least it seems like it.

That craptastic.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
jimsowden said:
VLC= Very Likely to Crash
It's the best media player for DiVX stuff, but god damn if it doesn't crash every 2 seconds. My friends and I have determined that the script that closes it is actually a buffer overrun. At least it seems like it.

That craptastic.
I've used MPlayer since forever and it's never crashed on me and handled everything I've thrown at it (though I've never tried opening wmv in it). What makes VLC better?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
Heb1228 said:
I don't have many problems with VLC crashing, just that it takes FOREVER to load. Which is strange cause it seems like such a stripped down app.
It's because you have Final Cut Pro. There's some weird conflict between VLC and the Pro Application Framework. On systems without that installed it loads really quickly.