VM from Win7 64bit Upgrade not working

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whyrichard, Aug 12, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I am trying to install Windows 7 using Parallels 7. I have a window 7 64 bit Disk that is an upgrade disk from xp pro.

I have installed xp pro as a virtual machine no problem, but when i try running the windows 7 64 bit upgrade disk through win xp, i get an error message that goes something like:

This installation disk isn't compatible with your version of windows. to upgrade you need dthe correct installation disk. for more information, check your computers system information. "

is it because it is a 64 bit disk? this was no problem with my bootcamp installation, which i later ran through parallels..

How to install from my Windows 7 64bit upgrade disk a virtual machine?

thanks,

R.

2. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

and from an XP Pro installation?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They should but to be honest, I don't own parallels. Give it a shot and report back.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted

The instructions are for a clean install i.e. no OS installed. You don't actually need to install XP to use an upgrade version.

I have done this in VMWare, and on real hardware so there should be no reason Parallels would be different...

B