VM Fusion, Parallels or Bootcamp to play games?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nehas91, Nov 21, 2009.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

With winter break approaching I was planning to get some pc games(COD:MW2, Battlefield etc) and play them during break but I'm not sure which software would be best to play those games. I've looked at VM Fusion, Parallels and Bootcamp but I'm still not sure as to the advantages and disadvantages of each. Which one should I buy to have the best gaming experience possible?

edit:
    one more question, is there a way i can use a playstation 2 controller to play pc games running through bootcamp? I've heard that I need some kind of an adapter but i've been unsuccessful in finding one so far.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Boot Camp. Neither Fusion nor Parallels can support the most recent versions of Direct X.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

For any 3D intensive games, Boot Camp only. If you're playing something like Civilization 3, then Parallels or Fusion would be fine. CoD:MW2 must be under boot camp.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Boot Camp, as your Mac becomes a Windows PC with that software, and Windows runs natively and solely on your Mac.

Fusion and Parallels use Virtual Machines (VM), so they run when Mac OS X runs, and have not access to the full resources Boot Camp offers.

I play COD6, and it runs parsecs better on a Boot Camp partition than in a VM.

5. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies. one more question, is there a way i can use a playstation 2 controller to play pc games running through bootcamp? I've heard that I need some kind of an adapter but i've been unsuccessful in finding one so far.

6. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I know you can do it with a wired 360 controller. Not sure about ps2

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Try a PS3 Dualshock3 controller because then all you need are driver and not a adapter. Google "ps3 controller windows" for more info.

If you really want the ps2 controller you need a adapter. Again, Google it. =P