VM Fusion Sessions & Heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markp99, Jul 5, 2012.

1. markp99, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

markp99 macrumors member

I'm pretty much a Mac newb, migrating from PC Laptop to rMBP (16GB, 256GB). About 3/4 duty for work (multiple/huge client databases and normal Office apps) and about 1/4 duty for Photography (LR4, PS6, RAW).

After a few experiments w/Bootcamp, VMWare, & Parallels, I think I am converging on VMWare Fusion to launch my necessary MSOffice apps - in unity mode - windowed apps on the Mac. But, I think I am noticing that the MacBook gets quite HOT when a VM session is running - even with very lightweight usage - Mail, Word, Excel, etc... Not giant DB thrashing...

I notice the fans cranking at about 3K to 4K rpms, and temps like 110F-130F. Is this NORMAL? And how hot is TOO hot?

Any concerns with this behavior, or remedies?

Are these any logging utilities to track various parmeters over time to see the timing and what app may or may not be running?

As for SSD contraints, I will manage the DBs and other project archives on USB 3.0 external drives. I am not sure about photos just yet. Maybe a separate volume just for those, separate from work, so no need to lug around while travelling. Thunderbolt drives maybe in future if USB 3.0 performance is lagging.

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Temps

If you do not already have iStat Pro widget installed, download it and take a look at the no-load temps, the temps at you normal work load, and 100% load temps. This will give you and idea of how your machine behaves. And usually the discussion uses degrees C. Too hot is very subjective, however I consider any thing above 80C as being undesirable over extended periods.

neil

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yes it is normal. No it's not a problem. Running a VM is literally running 2 computers on one hardware system. It will make it run hotter.