VM Fusion with Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentsg, Nov 10, 2015.

1. brentsg macrumors 68040

I haven't used the higher resolution MBP with VM Fusion since early launch days. Have the wrinkles been worked out, such that running Windows XP or 7 in a VM aren't a mess in regard to scaling? When I attempted this before, either the VM was running full resolution (and therefore unreadable) or everything was a scaled, blurry mess.

Is this workable these days?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Googling VMware fusion retina support would've gotten you your answer a bit quicker than mine, some 8 hours later.

vmware fusion retina support

As you can see from the first hit, retina support has only been added to Windows 7 or 8 guests.

3. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

I read that article before I posted, thanks. My question remains unanswered, or at least I'm still unclear. Is Windows 7 easily legible, or are things still broken? I don't need Windows to access the full screen resolution, as things are then too small to read properly. I'm assuming from this article that I can make things scale as I see fit, but the last time I had a high resolution display and a copy of Windows on hand, this was still a pipe dream.

I'm hoping to scale all UI elements to relative sizes that are similar to the default OSX behavior, but in Fusion. I'm just unclear if it's going to work out as well as it does with OSX.