Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
You will need to buy the copy of the OS you want to run, this does not have to be XP...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is correct, you can run many OSes with VM Fusion. If you are planning on running Windows though, then yes, obviously you will need a fully licensed copy of Windows.

Rock star poser

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
i already have windows installed on my macbook, but i can't find the disc.... so that means i'll have to buy fusion and buy a copy of windows xp.

mrock

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
Yes you do, but you say that you already have a copy of Windows XP installed (under bootcamp, I assume?)

Fusion will detect this and create a virtual machine from it. You don't need an extra license to run Windows under both bootcamp and Fusion, as long as it's under the same machine (and it was legitimate to begin with, of course)

Rock star poser

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I wasn't aware of that. If that's the case then I will buy it right away.

By the way, I already had windows xp installed on my macbook from the guy i bought it from. I normally have to boot up again and press the alt key.

mrock

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
Yep just make sure that you follow the instructions properly for setting up the virtual machine from your Boot Camp partition, because windows can get fussy about activation - you'll need to install the VMWare tools package to fix that. Otherwise you'll end up having to activate windows every time you switch between Fusion and Bootcamp!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.