VM Fustion w/ Boot Camp Excellent!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ScottFitz, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I've been running BootCAmp for months with my iMac. I finally got tired of rebooting and picked up Fusion. Install seemed to hang when it was latching onto my BootCamp partition. I ended up having to uninstall everything and manually delete the machine. But, I did it all again and it worked pretty well.

It's a bit weird booting up another software OS from within Leopard, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I really don't use WinXP that often, but it's kinda nice anyway. I've been trying to stress it a bit, but I've not been able to make it lock up yet.

Two thumbs up.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good for you!

It can be challenging to make it all work at times.

I find Fusion to be a little slow and irritating. If I really need to do something I will use Boot Camp.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggest issue is that I have a software site that I have to access periodically and it FORCES me to use MS Internet Explorer. The old Mac version that is floating out there is too old. So, I'm screwed and have had to reboot into XP. So, for this quick access, I'll be good to go.

4. Z2112 macrumors newbie

I love VMWare Fusion!

I am a cross-over with (unfortunately) a long history of MS Powerpoint presentations. I'm slowly converting, but in the meantime I've trying to run my stuff on MS Office for Mac 2004 - What a piece of crap! All of my presentations (with lots of graphics) take forever to load. Running MS Office on WinXp on WMWare Fusion works beautifully. ... and now apparently Bootcamp is built in to Leopard - (I'll be installing that shortly) to aid in the drivers for WinXP.

As an aside, the MS Office for Mac 2008 is apparently better as it was designed for the core 2 duo ... but then again, the reason I got the MacBookPro was to get away from MS, so I don't think I'll be getting MSO for MAC 2008.

That's my 2 cents ... if it matters.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Try using Neooffice instead of MSOffice. Its free (but not without its own issues).

6. slabman macrumors member

I guess I don't know what to do. I can't get my printer to work with Parallels, so do I want to revert to Boot Camp? Does this mean I nuk all my Windows applications, the WinXP opsys and then Parallels in that order? Or can I leave the apps alone and just install WinXP in Boot Camp?

Does Fusion have printer issues like Parallels?

7. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I use Fusion as well and it works great! I had some printer issues as well. My printer is an Ethernet printer and I set it up using it's Ip address and it now works.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Please don't hijack other peoples threads. Start your own.