VM+Light Vid Editing=2011 Air or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by scrummy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. scrummy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My apologies for creating another "is the Air for me?" thread, but I haven't seen this kind of question answered on other threads.

I am a graduate student in the social sciences who does a lot of basic web research+ word processing. I also need to run windows in a virtual machine with processor intensive statistical estimation software. All this runs fine on my late '07 MBP with 4GB RAM. I get a little lag sometimes when I have everything going at once, but it's nothing more than a hiccup.

In the future I expect to do a little video editing. Probably just cutting out relevant clips and pasting into PowerPoint.

I will probably carry my computer most of the day 2d/week and move around a lot the rest of the week. A 15" MBP is too big.

Do you think I should go for an Air or a 13" MBP? Wait? Thanks very much in advance for any advice!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The 2011 MacBook Air would run that program faster than your 2007 MacBook Pro. Of course, the 2011 MacBook Pro would run it even faster, but if you are satisfied with your 2007, you will likely also be satisfied with the 2011 MacBook Air.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You would do just fine with the air, if that's what you prefer, although the Pro would be slightly faster for less money.