Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecksmen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Hi,

I'm fairly new to OSX, having only had my macbook for a month or so. I noticed the other day, that the Virtual Memory size it massive. Weighing in at a hudge 9 something GB! I've linked in a screen shot so you can see exactly what is running.

It seems very excessive, considering I'm only running a few lightweight apps and that I have 2GB of RAM!

http://hosting.flamingeck.com/vm.tiff

Is this normal?

It's worth noting that I have just done a fresh install. However VM usage is about the same as before...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
yeah that sounds about right. My VM size is 8.49GB.

As long as you have ~10GB of free HDD space all the time, you won't notice any slowdowns.

ecksmen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks, but I do see the spinning beach ball thing a lot, which I can't but think must be down to slow harddrive access, but I always thought more ram meant this happens less, yet the VM size for each of those programs seems stupidly high. 400mb+ for a program that's only 20mb in size?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MacOS X automatically makes the optimal setting of vritual memory based on your RAM requirements and available hard drive space. There is nothing to worry about and nothing that you can do if you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.