VM Ware after deleting.reinstalling Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

So I had Bootcamp installed. I then installed VMware. During setup it automatically detected the Bootcamp partition and things were great. I then deleted Bootcamp for other reasons and have since reinstalled it. I am not sure how to get VM to point at Bootcamp now? It did it automatically last time. I have deleted the physical disk from settings. I just can't figure out how to get back at Bootcamp.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ack! Don't do that! That's the one that creates a new independent VM from your Boot Camp partition.

Follow this one instead: Launching your Boot Camp partition in VMware Fusion http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014618

EDIT: IIRC when I last did something like this I had to delete the Boot Camp VM first. From VMWare Fusion menu -> Window -> Virtual Machine Library Select the Boot Camp VM and right click to delete. It should then ask you to create a new one on the next launch of Fusion.

B

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

HAHAHA!!! Too late!!! Muah hahahaha!!! :D

But seriously, now things are much worse :eek:. I have like three VMs now and I don't know how to make it stop. Let me post exactly what I have done so that someone might help me to figure out what the appropriate steps are to remedy this:

1) I originally had Win7 (64bit)installed via Bootcamp. I was also running VMware using the Bootcamp as my disk. The first time I opened VMware. it *saw* the Bootcamp (BC) disk and I was able to select it as the disk I wanted to use.

2) Some time later, I decided to delete BC partition and reinstalled it fresh with a different copy of Win7 (32bit).

3) Obviously, now VMware could not run, since the disk (BC) had been altered. Upon opening VMware, I got thw follwong message:

4) So I removed the disk by doing the following: I actually cannot remember :mad: I think I deleted some sort of file somewhere. Sorry. I know that does not help.

5) I thought that maybe now, when I opened VMware, it would *see* the new BC disk and allow me to select it for use. However, this was not the case. So I deleted the following folder (because I read some where this would fix it):

Users:"me":Library:Application Support:VMware:Virtual Machines:Boot Camp:Bootcamp

Much to my chagrin, this did not do the trick.

6) Now, this is where I then followed the procedure in Post 2 by spinnerlys. It took forever by the way. I am not exactly sure what it did, but it took like an hour and a half.

I now get the following when I open VMware. You can see that 2 VM's open (I don't know if both actually function, but one does). And there are 3 BC thumbnail thingys (I don't know what they are called).

[​IMG]

I am thinking that my best option now, is to simply delete VMware altogether and reinstall. What do you guys think? It seems like it would be easier to reinstall VMware than to try to diagnose how to properly fix this. I feel like en if I do remove the other 2 BC disk things, there will be remnants of them left that will give me trouble further down the road.

Opinions?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Everyone has one ...

IMHO. Right click on all three of the VMs in the VM library (separately), hit show in finder and note the path, then right click again and hit delete. If anything is left behind in the finder windows that were opened that way, delete that too.

Then, the next time you start VMWare it should prompt you to use the Boot Camp partition.

B

6. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Haha! I did that and I got a 4th thumbnail thing! Then I just right-clicked each of the thumbnails and deleted them. then I restarted Vmware and it gave me the option to point to BC. Now everything is fine again!!!

Not sure what made that all so difficult, but I'm all set now! thanks everyone for the help. :)