VM ware fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sportsfanMAW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Hi
    I was just looking at apples website and i saw the vmware fusion and it says that windows and mac applications run side by side and it doesn't have any windows crashes and such. Is that true? And does it make your make receptible to windows virus's?

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

VMware Fusion allow you to run MS Windows (and other OS) in a virtual machine on top of Mac OS X. Since it run MS Windows its also just as (un)stable as running on any other computer. So it will/might crash...

Yes. the installed MS Windows system is receptible to viruses. Just as any other Windows installation.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

However, you can make a 'snapshot' and so if you get a virus, you can return to how the OS was when you made the snapshot. The viruses won't affect OSX, only XP in VMWare...

4. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

So if i understand right, if the windows portion got a virus i could technically just re-install windows on it right? But i could still get a virus that got destroy my hard drive right?

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Correct.

I am unsure (but assume) fusion has the ability to "clone" your windows installs too so what I did (I use parallells but its similar)

Is install XP with service pack 2 and as many updates and bug fixes as possible.

Set that aside and cloned from that to install apps on like I have a "Internet" image and a "junk" image where I install stuff that I don't care about.

6. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

True, but this is...

i. Very unlikely, most windows "virus's" are tojans/worms really these days, they want to stel your data or use your machine as a spam relay or something such like, midless destruction of data is soooo 90's.

ii. The windows "Hard Drive" is simply a file on the mac so destroying it will not cause problems for the mac side of things.

Although...

i. Please note if you set up file sharing beetween the mac and windows side then obviously the windows side can see and do things to the files on the mac side.

Though....

i. Just install a nice free anti virus such as avg and use the windows firewall and you will be fine.