VM ware size

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PreetinderBajwa, Nov 10, 2010.

1. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Hi,

I installed Fusion 3 and 32bit Win 7. I allocated 32GB to it. Now when I check inside I see 21GB free (I have installed MS office 2010 and Smartdraw). I have access to VM ware setting where I can reduce the size of the Fusion 3 from 32 GB to a lesser number and I was thinking maybe 22GB, thus reclaiming 10GB for Mac.

Do you think making such a change on the fly will make something go wrong on the Mac side or inside the VM.....

BTW, I have the fully loaded MBA 11.6".

Thanks in Advance.

Preetinder

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You can reduce your drive space for VM under settings- After the VM machine is shut down.

Does not affect any performance at all. I only give mine 18GB, but I am running XP not 7.

3. peterb69 macrumors member

Does Win XP work on the Air? I thought there were no drivers for the hardware in XP.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

There are no Boot Camp drivers for XP for the new Airs, but you can install XP as a virtual machine in Fusion or Parallels Desktop.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Your running Fusion, as am I. So yes, VMware has supported XP since at least 08', perhaps before then.

Runs great btw, I now use Unity mode exclusively.

6. PreetinderBajwa thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't really work

Hi everyone,

I tried the VMware resizing from 32 to 22 GB, however it wouldn't let me reduce the size - the pop up says the size should be between 32GB and 2TB, please enter a valid size.

I guess once you choose the size you kind of live with it ! Yes i only had the Fusion 3 switeched on, and the windows OS was shut down.

Any experiences, tricks ? :D

Thanks

Preetinder