VM Wware Fusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Designed4Mac, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Designed4Mac macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Hi all.

I have VMWare Fusion running on my MM. I have Windows 8 stored on an external drive which works fine on my MM.

My question is....Is there any way to use the same disk image on my MBA across my home network.

ie. The external HD is upstairs in my office but i want to use Windows 8 via VMWare on my MBA downstairs.

I have tried to add the Win 8 image from my shared folders but its greyed out.

Its not really a problem copying the image to my MBA if i have to, its more a matter of saving disk space.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have never tried it, but I highly do NOT recommend it even if it was possible. The image is the entire machine, memory, drive, and apps. These things can and do balloon very rapidly. 20, 30 or 40GB is not uncommon. Transferring 40GB across the network will take a VERY long time. Thus every time you use it you would have to transfer 40GB down, and then 40GB back up when you close it. But in between you'll have a ton of accesses. Get an external USB drive and put it on that, those laptop drives work fine.

3. Designed4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Thanks for the quick reply. Didn't even consider the size issue.

Hate the idea of things (usb drives) hanging out of the side of my MBA as being on the clumsy side i'll probably end up causing some damage.

I have plenty of space on my 128gb SSD as i have everything apart from apps and OS stored on external drives so looks like i'll just have to copy the image over.

Thanks again for the reply :)

4. jlc1978, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Consider getting a Nifty Mini Drive. I have one in my rMBP and it is very handy. You could add a 32 or 64 GB micro SD card and just leave it in your Air. No USB stick or SD card sticking out the side.

The are OOS right now but plan on releasing an improved version in May.

http://theniftyminidrive.com

5. willieva macrumors 6502

6. Designed4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Thanks. Im liking the look of those. Exactly what i'm looking for. :)

7. Designed4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

VNC would i suppose work the same as Back To Mac which i have to say works flawlessly for me.

The only problem there would be that id be confined to being at home. I think the mini drive would work for me as i can take it anywhere without the worry of it hanging out of the side of my MBA.

8. Isamilis macrumors 6502

You can remotely use the windows (Remote desktop or other similar applications). No need to share the disk image.