Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I recently installed VM Fusion on my MPA and didn't realize I should/could change the specs on dedicated memory. I'm running windows for the basic excel, word and outlook functions. The mac side is for internet and photos (no editing) just saving and organizing. What is the recommended split and how can I change it?

FYI - I'm using Windows XP Proff

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The virtual machine will need to be off in order to change the settings. I don't use Fusion so I don't know exactly where it is, but it will be somewhere in one of the setup menus.

Which MBA do you have? Does it have 4GB of RAM? If so, I would give XP Professional 1GB. If you have a 2GB machine, I would start with 512MB and see if that works.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
The virtual machine will need to be off in order to change the settings. I don't use Fusion so I don't know exactly where it is, but it will be somewhere in one of the setup menus.

Which MBA do you have? Does it have 4GB of RAM? If so, I would give XP Professional 1GB. If you have a 2GB machine, I would start with 512MB and see if that works.

Thanks, I have the 13 inch entry level (4GB). I assume you use Parallels? I'm still in the trial period for VM Fusion and wondering if I should switch to parallels..

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Thanks, I have the 13 inch entry level (4GB). I assume you use Parallels? I'm still in the trial period for VM Fusion and wondering if I should switch to parallels..

I have Parallels on one iMac and VMware Fusion on the other. Right now, Parallels feels a bit faster and was easier to setup (though neither was all that difficult). Since I use VMware on my Windows systems it's easier to move VMs if I use VMware on my Mac as well. Other than that they are pretty comparable.

Cheers,

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Yes, I use Parallels. I think the performance differences between Parallels 7 and VMWare Fusion 4 are minimal, from the reviews I have read. I'd go with whichever one is cheaper. Both companies have promotions from time to time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.