VMFusion or Parallels on a MPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacHiavelli, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Trying to get my boss to agree to let me have a MBP. I will have to run Windows for access to Access and I just wondered if anyone could recommend which way to go: VMFusion or Parallels? Or perhaps Boot Camp.... although I would prefer, ideally, to have both Win and OX running at the same time, rather than having to choose at boot-up.

Thanks

2. Roguepirate macrumors member

I use VMFusion with my bootcamp partition. I tried using parallels but had some problems getting it to work with my bootcamp partition. VMFusion works great and was pretty easy to setup with the bootcamp partition.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

VMWare Fusion IMO. My grandad uses it for Spider Solitaire (comparatively simple app) and much prefers Fusion's stability to Parallels' flashy features :)

There is no need for the power that Boot Camp gives you at all...

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

My experience with both seems to indicate that VMWare Fusion is noticeably faster. I've also encountered some kernel panics with Parallels on a SR MBP, although this may have been fixed by the most recent build. The Fusion interface also seems more mac-like and intuitive to me, so I've definitely switched over to Fusion full-time. FWIW I've never used either product with a Boot Camp partition, so I couldn't speak as to comparatively how well each works in that situation.

5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Many thanks for all the replies - VM looks like the way to go.

What is "the power" of boot camp ..... isn't it more or less just the same as VM or Para?

Thanks

6. Roguepirate macrumors member

When you run windows through a VM, then the performance of programs takes a hit, but for most applications you'll be ok without running windows natively (through bootcamp). I mainly use bootcamp for gaming since DX9 games will not run in Fusion or Parallels.

7. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Many thanks, Roguepirate

Sounds like Boot Camp would be good for anything intense, but use VM when I need both OSX and Win running at the same time. Cheers. I understand VM can use the BC installation, so that looks like the way to go.

Appreciated. :D

8. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'd stay away from this idea. I've not had a chance to use Fusion yet, but with parallels, running the BC partition, if Parallels decides to crash on you it can make your boot-camp non-functional. I've had it happen a few time actually. I can't boot natively in to windows but Parallels has no problem booting the partition.

I'd leave boot camp to boot camp and use a VHD inside OS X. As I said though, I've not tried Fusion.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Anyone know if it is safe to have VMWare and Parallels installed at the same time? I have Parallels installed but was thinking about trying VMWare. If I installed it would it cause any problems?

10. janetw858 macrumors newbie

Has anyone had problems with the xp activation switching between bootcamp and fusion? I stopped using fusion because I would loose my xp activation and got tired of having to call microsoft to get a new number (maxed out the three tries quickly). I now use bootcamp solely but would love to get my fusion working again.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Another vote for VMware Fusion. The VMware guys are also very responsive and engaged in the community. VMware's forums are evidence of this fact.

12. sriggles macrumors newbie

+1 for VMware Fusion. I have been using this software for about 2 years and have had no issues. I would suggest having at least 4gigs of ram so it doesn't bog down your computer because I found my Unibody MBP to run a little slow with the stock 2gigs.

13. mrrippey macrumors regular

Lone person

Been running Parallels with no issues, 13" uMBP with 4GB RAM and prety speedy to boot. when I get my SSD, I am sure it will fly.

Wont go wrong with either one though

14. macboy4 macrumors regular

I wouldn't use VM with the Bootcamp partition. I was using VM with my XP Bootcamp partition, but I recently switched to having VM install the virtual machine (not Bootcamp) and even using Windows 7 instead of XP it's much faster.

Apparently when VM creates the partition instead of piggy-backing off of Bootcamp it uses a different file system (not NTFS like bootcamp) and that makes it snappier.

For what it's worth, I haven't missed Bootcamp at all. You could use both, but obviously changes will not carry over between systems.