VMfusion + Win2k Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ^squirrel^, May 8, 2008.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi, i'm looking for some help with VMfusion.

I've used it many time before but this is something that i have never tried out.

I have installed Win 2k Server via Fusion and have configured the domain. I am now at the stage where you connect the Xp clients to the new domain. But here's the problem.....

VM assigns a virtual IP address to Win 2k Server so it can access the network. I am able to connect to share points from Windows 2000 Server, but unable to get clients to connect to the Win Domain or connect to the share point it is hosting.

I'm fairly sure it's because of this Virtual IP address issue.

Can anyone help me tackle this problem?

Many thanks

Darren

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You need to set Fusion up with bridged networking - if you look in the network setting, just check 'connect directly to the physical network (bridged) and you should be in business.

I'll admit, though, running an AD domain on virtualised hardware.... wooo :eek: you're braver than I am..... ;) :p

I don't know exactly what you're wanting to do, but OS X server does support Active Directory/Open Directory, and can be used as a DC in a Windows domain, so might be worth considering if what you're doing is mission-critical in any way.

3. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

LOL yes of course....... I got so involved in the problem being worse than that i didn't even think to look at the obvious.

Thank you so much for pointing that out!

The reason for doing this is due to 1 of our Databases being Windows only. We also have a few pc's left in sales (being converted to macs soon) so it'll run as the domain controller for them.

Would be nice to get the mac running as the Domain host, but thought i'd stick with Win for now, until we're ready to kill it off.