VMs just keep freezing after Mavericks update

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by altjx, Oct 24, 2013.

1. altjx macrumors member

Has anyone else had this problem? While I'm working in a VM, it'll just suddenly freeze. I can't even freaking force restart. I literally have to force shut down, look at the > arrow, and then start the damn thing back up. This is really pissing me off.

This happens every few hours or so... Thank god I have a habit of saving things periodically.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A little more details please.

What software are you using, Parallels, Vmware or virtual box?
    Did you upgrade these to the latest version?

3. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I don't want to complicate this thread, but I'm experiencing quite similar results with my VIRTUALBOX 4.3 (which is listed as OS X 10.9 compatible) application.

If I fire up a VB VM, the VM itself shuts down, but a Virtualbox icon remains on the dock (one, instead of two when a VM is actually running) AND a grayed-out Virtualbox application instance lingers in Activity Monitor. Not even "Force Quit" will work on the ghost Virtualbox.

My Mac will not shut down; I have to force it by press-and-hold the Power button. I'll try the "sudo shutdown -h now" terminal command that others seem to be successfully using.

Hopefully the OP is using Virtualbox also, as this would help define the situation better.

In which case, Virtualbox itself would need to release an update to fix the situation, which is documented in Virtualbox forums here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58058

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I am using the latest VMWare Fusion Pro Edition (6), and I have not experienced this issue at all. I routinely am running 2-5 different VMs concurrently, a mixture of Windows 8.1, Server 2008, and Server 2003 and have no issues whatsoever (although I have 16 GB of 1600MHz memory, and a 500GB SSD running on a 2,4GHz Core I7 Sandybridge, so that may be helping the issue as well, as I get no lag whatsoever).

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No problems for me with VirtualBox 4.3 running XP. Sorry.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

FWIW, I just updated my server to Mavericks, and that went smoothly.

I then learned that I needed to pay another $20 for the version 3 of Server, which was annoying. I bought the previous version just a few months ago. WhatEVer.

So I upgraded to v. 3. That went smoothly too, though I haven't tested all the functionality yet. In particular there's a lot of grousing by some users that VPN functionality has been damaged. TBD.

But, as it turns out, I routinely run a VirtualBox VM on the server. It runs a specialized Linux distro. And: without updating VirtualBox (manually, at least-- maybe it updated itself?), my VM restored and runs just fine.

So that's smooth too.

Now for the VPN...

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I too did the server upgrade as well and routinely run 2 VMs on that as well (this is in addition to the oner in my previous post as those run on my MBP). I have pretty much the same setup on the server as on the MBP except only a 180GB SSD, but everything else is the same and it runs smoothly as well.

I have no issues with my VPN either, although I saw lots of complaints regarding it, but I have no issues as well. I upgraded from SL Server to Lion Server to ML Server, and now to Maverick Server (yes I know the others were a server add on to the user OS and not a dedicated server OS like SL) and this has been easiest and smoothes transition I have experience in all of those migrations.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have Windows 8.1 in a Vmware Fusion VM running with no problems.

VPN has also been problem free for me.

9. jeffzoom91 macrumors regular

jeffzoom91

It's App Nap. Developers have the ability to control it if they choose to, but most haven't done anything with it yet because it's so new.

If you have an issue with it, find the application in /Applications, do a cmd-i on it (or right click "get info") and check "disable app nap".

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17424008&postcount=10

10. badaz06 macrumors newbie

Noticing the same thing here. Twice now in the last 2 days I've had my system go into sleep mode, and while the Mac OS opens, the VMFusion side seems to open but presents on a black screen.

I have a MBP with 16 gig (2012 version) with the SSD. My VMFusion version level 5.0.3 1040386. Prior to a few days ago, everything worked great. I was sitting here thinking "What's changed?", and the only thing that has is the upgrade to 10.9 OS X. I'm running Windows 7 on the VMWare, but I suspect that's irrelevant.

The end game was that I had to basically force the VM to reboot in order to get back into it.

Thoughts?

11. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

12. gjbaxter macrumors newbie

freezing too

I'm experiencing the freezing problem too, running 4.2.18. We have a work around for the left over process, but the vm just hangs every hour or two. Nothing for it but a hard reboot. We were down on 4.2.6, and I was having the freezing happen occasionally after the mavericks upgrade, but with the 4.2.18 upgrade, it's basically useless.

13. dean1012 macrumors regular

Just a comment on VirtualBox...

The freezing issue (at least as of 4.3.2, haven't tried 4.3.4) only occurs if you start a VM that uses host-only network. The VM may or may not work but when you close, suspend, or shutdown the VM it will linger and prevent Mavericks from shutting down.

The only way I know to fix it, without forcing the shut down, is to use terminal to unload the kernel extensions for vmware.

I am only aware of two ways to fix the issue:

* Disabling host-only networks from all VMs

or

* Start the VM in headless mode from terminal then attach to it from terminal

14. gjbaxter macrumors newbie

This is interesting because we've discovered that it's the NAT connection that's causing the problem. If I disable the NAT adaptor, everything's fine.... except I can't get to the network from the vm anymore. We also tried a Bridged adaptor, but that failed also. We have two connections, one being the NAT (or Bridged) and the other being host-only.

15. dean1012 macrumors regular

Interesting indeed. My post still applies (as of 4.3.2, once again haven't tried 4.3.4 yet) but the 'only' quantifier should be removed since you have proven it isn't the only case.

I have two VMs. One uses regular networking (I think it's NAT... it's the one that just connects to the network with it's own IP instead of going through the host) and works fine.

The second one uses host only networking on one adapter and the regular networking (see above) for the second adapter. It fails if ran through VirtualBox but since it's a text-only installation, I just run it headless and it works fine.

A lot of the posts on the VBox forum seem to indicate most have an issue with host-only networking which is why I said 'only'. I had yet (before now) to hear about any other cases.

16. gjbaxter macrumors newbie

host-only AND... ?

Hmm, maybe it's a combination of host-only and.. something else that causes issues.