VMWare 1.1 Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Malcster, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Malcster macrumors 6502

VMWare have released a 1.1 Beta of Fusion which has many changes, amongst other things preliminary DirectX 9.0 support (minus shaders..)

Link

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately I won't be able to test this until next Sunday, as the only machine with Fusion I use is my grandad's iMac...

3. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Bah now you made me wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow!

Ahh well, nearly the weekend I guess. ;-)

4. giganten macrumors 6502a

5. Malcster thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, more games should now be compatible, i don't have anything to test unfortunately!

In general windows use it does seem substantially quicker. Boot time was much improved.

6. giganten macrumors 6502a

Okay. Have to try Fusion then.

7. Malcster thread starter macrumors 6502

As usual with Parallels/Fusion in there current states tho, don't expect to get very far with the latest and greatest games tho, theres a free trial, give it a go and see how far you get.

8. seanneko macrumors member

Anyone know if GMA950 compatibility has been improved?

The only thing that I can really get working in Fusion 1.0 is the spinning cube in DirectX Diagnostics :(

9. hajime macrumors 68040

Poor video performance

I updated to 1.1 but it seems that the video performance is worse than before. I have already checked 3D acceleration already. Even when I drag a window, the movement looks sluggish. I wonder if I have missed anything. Anybody knows what is going on?

10. LMO macrumors member

I'm seeing the same reduced video performance. It has been suggested that it is due to debug code in the drivers, but I haven't seen a direct response from the VMware team.

11. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Did you upgrade the VMware tools?

12. hajime macrumors 68040

Yes. I did it twice just to make sure. According to WinXP, I am using
    VMware SVGA II.

13. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Hmm, not sure then, everything seems fine on my Mac Pro running my XP SP2 bootcamp partition.

14. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I notice no change in video performance. However, I did get a TOTAL Mac freeze with the beta, when I tried to update VMWare Tools from the taskbar. It stopped inthe middle and I had to do a hard reset of the Mac. (Oddly enough, the only thing I COULD do during the freeze was move the mouse--which showed a Windows cursor even when mousing over Mac windows. But it would not respond to anything. I was able to sleep and wake, but instead of the usual wake-from-sleep password dialog, I got a Windows cursor over black.)

Next time I tried updating from the Mac menu bar instead, and for whatever reason that was fine.