Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Greetings,
I recently installed VMWare Fusion 13 on my Mac Studio, and it runs well. However, when I download apps like Office or Firefox, and click the .exe setup file, I get no response. I have the Task Manager open and do not see any active processes for the installers.

I did give vmware Fusion "full disk access." Is there another permission setting I overlooked?

Thank you in advance!

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Had this in my notes. Have not tried any advice in that thread personally, but there might be useful insight in Microsoft's ARM forums. IIRC, there were issues related to 32 vs. 64 Bit, and ARM vs. Intel. Also some extra conf file used to tell the Windows Installer who's boss?? Just out of curiosity, what's your use case like, for Windows with Office, even if it's ARM?

A team in my office ran a test cycle, found early ARM Office usable, but patchy in areas that seem to depended on data-exchange code that hadn't yet been ported to ARM. In some cases they said it behaved like the HTML5 versions. We ended up taking a pass on Windows ARM because we just didn't want to hear the whining from a bunch of dilettante political hacks who could't find the ANY key. Interesting times.

Reactions: Php4u

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
-SOLVED-
For other newbies, I do not recommend importing settings and backup data from an existing MS account (if you have one). That was my problem - ARM vs X86 data created issues. I deleted my install and did a fresh install, creating a new stand-alone PC and wallah! All good, and all new download apps launch as expected.

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Screenshot-desktop.png

So far, so good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.