Vmware 2.0.1 or Parallels (YES I SEARCHED!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maximumsportz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. maximumsportz macrumors regular

I know this is a common topic, I've been searching and reading all over for the past 2 days from different tests done about both VM's so far I'm leaning toward VMware.

I just want to install XP and run some office programs thats it, my biggest concern is USB support is VMware pretty good with hardware you plug into USB to use in the window VM?

It's crazy how flip sided this topic can be, most mac uses love Parallels while most bloggers love VMware fusion. I'm very picky and this decision is hard!!!

2. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I have not had any issues with USB and VMware. The tools in VM make it real easy to control devices as far as what process controls the device. Never used Parallels so I don't have any opinion on it.

I don't think you will have any regrets going with VMware

3. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

VMWare has better performance, from my experience, then Parallels 4. I can run OSX Server on Vmware Fusion with no problems, but running it on Parallels 4 makes the VM run at a crawl.

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Does VMWare allow you to run off you bootcamp drive like parallels does? I don't want to IMPORT the Bootcamp but run it then be able to boot into it to play games.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Consider downloading the trial versions and seeing first hand which one works best for yourself then?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

yes.

8. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

1 question, to install windows XP on VMware do you need to install it with SP2 like bootcamp or can a windows XP CD without SP2 work?

Thanks

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can install any version of XP (regardless of SP)

10. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

11. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

It comes down to personal preferences. I tried both demos and then bought VMWare. Parallels had some nice features, but VMWare seemed to work better for me.

Download both and see which you prefer.

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

VMWare is EXTREMELY slow in browsing shared directories, but other then that I really do like it better :)

13. maximumsportz thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm going to go with VMware 2.0.1, I'm going run the installs this weekend, hopefully all goes well.

I have both a XP CD and .ISO file... Does anyone prefer one over the other? I was going to run the .ISO file

Thanks for the help guys.

14. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I have both (why pick one when you can have both :D) and I prefer Parallels 4 build 3810 (just came out). It's pretty damm fast and it integrates much nicely into OSX if you are looking for that.

VMWare is faster but is more "no frills" than Parallels. So it depends on what you want. But having both, there are a LOT of small things that lead me to use Parallels instead of VMWare.

It's your personal preference. Oh and use .ISO off the HD always when installing an OS, it's about 1000x faster than a physical CD.