VMware and Boot Camp Product Registration

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BrownPlopz, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Hi everyone, just a quick question. I've installed Boot Camp already, and now moved onto VMware, but it says I need to register again, BUT, I'm using an OEM license, which only allows me to register with it once, so how do I do this? If it's possible, can you reply ASAP, since I'm in a hurry? Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the VM Fusion Tools is supposed to take care of this when you install them. But I am not sure. I screwed mine up and had to call MS which was a total nightmare.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Works with OEM's or retail

1. Install Windows under Boot Camp
    2. Boot Windows under Boot Camp
    3. Activate Windows under Boot Camp
    4. Boot,Boot Camp volume under Fusion
    5. Install VMware Tools
    6. Reboot the VM
    7. Activate Windows under Fusion

4. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I've installed the tools, but I'm still getting the register message. What do I do now?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

did you follow the above? if so steps 6 & 7

6. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I've intsalled the tools, yet I continue to get the nagging "You have 3 days left to register your copy of Windows".... Ughhgh... This is turning into a real pain.... :(

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you followed that order from the start i dont know what else to suggest other than ring M$ and say you have upgraded your hardware & it wont let you re activate they should just give you another product key

8. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks, but just how much would this call to M$ cost exactly? Oh, and by the way, umm.... What is the number, hehehe.... ? :p

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

To be honest im not certain as ive never had to use it, i know its automated and it ask a series of questions, private message MacDawg ( as above ) and ask as i know he
    run into issues and had to ring,post were to find the number etc as it'll be handy for future ref

10. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

OK, problem solved. I called the number, and it was TOLL FREE??? Where'd they get the money for that??? Lol. But joking aside, I followed the annoying automated voices instructions, and, boom, done. Thanks for the help Neil321 and MacDawg. :D

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thats Ok only to glad to help out,were was the number by the way?

12. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The phone activation option supplies the best number at the point where you need to ring it. I think you have to select you country/location and then the wizard tell you to call whichever number.

13. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, all I had to do was select the "activate over the phone with a customer service representative" option. It then told you to select a country, and, unfortunately "Behind you, I'm your shadow..." wasn't there, so I had to select my real country, Canada, and after that I was given two choices. Toll-free, or Toll, so, obviously, toll-free was chosen, and the number was 1-888-524-4208 (I think), and it was smooth (but rough around the edges) from there.

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ok thanks,maybe i just didn't notice it when i installed fusion,which was god knows how long ago